Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Applique? >

Wool Applique?

Wool Applique?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM

There is a new BOM that is available as a wool applique version. Anyone ever do wool applique? Any pros or cons to it? This is one from Edyta Sitar and is also available in the regular applique type with all fabric.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

i am trying again to respond- was sending pics and somehow- lost my comment- oh well- good thing i'm better at quilting than at this dog=gone computer :wink:
anyway :wink:

I LOVE WORKING WITH WOOLS- AND WOOL APPLIQUE!!!
if it lets me i will show pics of my wool appliqued quilt- it has won ribbons- is fabulous- the wool applique is done on this fabulous double sided black flannel from Benartex.
the great thing about wool applique is no turned under edges- it is great to work with- and just so...luxurious!

i do lots with wool- felted wool projects- wool hooked rugs-
other items but love wool applique most :thumbup:

background gathering wool appliqued quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252833[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252827.jpe  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I liked my one wool applique project because it's so stable and doesn't fray.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Wow CK! That is stunning!! Please forgive my ignorance but do you hand sew the wool on or do you machine stitch it? Also how do you wash it?

The quilt I am thinking of doing is called Reaching Out by laundry basket quilts. It is a BOM the wool version is about $150 more than for the all fabric version.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Sandra
I am currently taking a wool applique class at my LQS and there are people doing it both ways. I am also doing the Hop to It quilt by Edyta and there is a girl in that class that is doing it all in wools and she is doing it on her machine

Where did you find the kit in wool for Reaching Out. I have the pattern and would love to do it in wool but have never found a kit?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Stitching wool is like stitching through butter...I am currently working on the Primitive Garden wool on cotton BOM. Am using Valdani pearl cotton and find I like it better than the DMC; but that is a personal choice.
Am doing it by hand.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM

I bought some wool about a year ago but, as a fabriholic, couldn't really tell you where it is right now. CK's quilt displays how gorgeous they can be! Thanks for bringing up the topic as I hope to learn more about this process.
Thanks! DI
Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

my wool appliqued quilt i did all hand blanket stitching --- it was my travel project for a year- i worked on it during breaks at work- when co-workers were outside smoking i would sit in the break room and sew-
wool is easy to machine stitch if you prefer that- and if your machine has a nice blanket stitch ---that's a bonus!
as for washing it- i put it in the washing machine- on a gentle cycle- then i put it in the dryer-
wool quilts that are not used much can be spot cleaned (if something were to be spilled on it) or vacuumed to remove dust-
or can be washed/dried---
i have never (babied) my wools- i want my quilts to be durable- and withstand being used- when i finish them i wash them and dry them like i would any bedding- that quilt is no different
as long as you do a good job stitching your appliques it should not hurt it at all---mine is 4 or 5 years old now.
it did take a couple blue ribbons- and the viewers choice award the year i finished it- and appraised for $3700! which blew me away!!! i have about $450 into it.

Originally Posted by Sandra-P
Wow CK! That is stunning!! Please forgive my ignorance but do you hand sew the wool on or do you machine stitch it? Also how do you wash it?

The quilt I am thinking of doing is called Reaching Out by laundry basket quilts. It is a BOM the wool version is about $150 more than for the all fabric version.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

i used purl cotton (floss) to hand stitch mine-
i have made many penny rugs using wool floss which is nice to work with too-
for wool i prefer the purl cotton over regular embroidery floss.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

CK, that quilt is beautiful!