Wool batting

Wool batting

Old 07-06-2022, 11:41 PM

Unhappy Wool batting

Apparently I should not have washed it.

Any ideas on giving this quilt a shave?
Attached Thumbnails faa73e66-8cf2-4d89-aefe-2fb0790dd77a.jpeg  
Old 07-07-2022, 01:51 AM

Wow, is that bearding? I have never encountered any issues ever with wool batting bearding (poking through the fabric). You might want to contact the manufacturer.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:49 AM

Wow, I agree with tallchick, send that photo to the manufacturer. Never had it do that before.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:08 AM

Was the batting made by Pellon? The washing instructions for that batting are as follows: “
  • Hand washing / soaking in cold water is recommended. Avoid agitation. Use a gentle detergent recommended for quilts and wool. Lay flat to air dry.”
I’ve seen photos from others who used the Pellon wool batting and had something similar happen after a machine wash. I’m so sorry this happened to your quilt.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Bummer! I've used wool and never had that happen.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

You might try a sweater shaver that removes the pills on sweaters? I think a sucky lint brush would just pull more batt out.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:16 AM

I've had extreme bearding through black with a wool batting. I think it's more of a problem with dark colors ('cause I don't have bearding on the non-black areas of the quilt). But you should certainly be able to wash a quilt.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:44 AM

Wow, I've used Quilter's Dream batting on several quilts and never had that happen. It almost looks like there was something else in the wash with the quilt, or maybe a seam came undone somewhere?
Old 07-07-2022, 11:56 AM

It would be great if the OP could confirm the brand she used. This seems to be a problem with a certain brand (Pellon wool batting). If that was the product used, I assume she didn’t realize it should not be washed in a washing machine or dried in a dryer. I don’t believe most wool battings made by other manufacturers have this limitation.

For Quilter’s Dream: “May be Machine Washed and Dried on cold setting without shrinkage. To prevent loosing the beautiful loft – avoid ironing or using heat. “

For Hobbs: “We suggest washing items made with Hobbs Heirloom Wool Batting by hand, in cool water, and laying them out flat to dry. If you prefer machine washing, items made with this batting may be machine-washed – you should use a gentle cycle and cold/cool water and ensure there’s no heavy agitation or spin during the wash cycle. Be especially cautious with front-loading washers as the intense spin cycle on these machines can be very hard on all elements of your quilts. You may start the drying process of items made with this batting in a cool/air-fluff dryer for 5-10 minutes, however, we recommend you then lay the item flat to complete the drying process.”

For Hobbs Tuscany Wool: “We suggest washing items made with Hobbs Tuscany 100% Wool Batting by hand, or by machine using a delicate cycle and cool water, with no heavy agitation or spinning. Be especially cautious with front loading washers as the intense spin cycle on these machines can be very hard on quilts. To dry items made with Hobbs Tuscany 100% Wool Batting, you may place the quilt in a cool dryer for 5-10 minutes to start the drying process, but we recommend you then air dry the quilt.”

Old 07-07-2022, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Wow, I've used Quilter's Dream batting on several quilts and never had that happen. It almost looks like there was something else in the wash with the quilt, or maybe a seam came undone somewhere?
Quilt was by itself, nothing washed with it. Gentle cycle. I’m going to have to look. I don’t remember what brand it was. It’s coming from the fabric all over. Yup can feel how much thinner the quilt is.