Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool Pressing Mats >

Wool Pressing Mats

Wool Pressing Mats

Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 AM

Default Wool Pressing Mats

I have read many posts regarding wool pressing mats. It is all positive. However I have a question as to the costs of various manufactures. Not considering the size, they can range from $20 to over &100.00. Is one company better than another? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 AM

2 years ago I bought a 14" square pressing mat through Amazon. I think it was about $20. It never has had a smell. I spray the fabric to be pressed OFF the mat on a folded scrap piece of unwanted fabric with my own sizing made with vodka (great substitue for starch as it is made from wheat or potatoes.) The mat is like new.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:25 PM

I bought mine from Quilt In A Day when they had a fantastic sale. Mine is 16 x 24 inches. Check the various sites because there is a big price swing. Some folks buy from places that are for horse padding. The quilt stores have quite a mark up. But since quilters seem to have more sensitive noses I gravitate more to the ones sold by well known stores. QIAD has fairly good prices/sales and I believe have passed the Eleanor Burns quality assurance. My mother used an old wool calvary blanket for years. She folded it up and put it under a cotton ironing board cover. (I have an old calvary blanket but I don't want to destroy it by ironing on it.)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:12 PM

I purchased a 30” x30” 100% wool horse pad for less than $30 earlier this month from State Line Tack. The wool isn’t as fine as the Quilt Store pads, but works great for pressing. I cut it in half so I could completely cover my ironing board