Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing pad DIY? >

Wool pressing pad DIY?

Wool pressing pad DIY?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Wool pressing pad DIY?

I'm cheap. Really cheap. And I had a thought that I have a couple of old heavy wool Army blankets.

What about folding them into the proper thickness and maybe even placing a damp cloth between the folds while you are pressing?

Yes? No? Don't be so gosh darn cheap, Watson?

(Remember, I'm not only a quilter, I'm a horse owner and they need the blacksmith every 6 weeks for a pedicure! Gotta save my pennies.)

Last edited by Watson; 01-19-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM

I don't have space in my sewing room to have a cutting area and an ironing area on a table.

I throw a old cream coloured wool blanket folded twice over the ironing board surface. The weight of the blanket holds it flat and it spans the WHOLE ironing board. My ironing board cover is one of those foil heat reflective ones. It does the trick. Also, I can use spray starch etc and then when it gets grubby, throw it in the wash. Friend of mine has wool pressing mat, I tried it but didn't see any noticeable difference to what I use to justify the expense. I would rather spend my money on fabric.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Why not, I would wash them in hot water to felt them first. If they were felted you shouldn’t get more shrinkage when you use a hot iron on them.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
KLO

So glad you asked this question. I came across a "blanket" while cleaning out some drawers recently. It appears to be either an army type blanket or perhaps a movers throw. Pretty sure it is wool but will check that out first. I was thinking about cutting several pieces and stacking them together to get better thickness then washing and sewing the edges together or needle felting them together. Watson, I too am pretty cheap and those wool pressing pads are fairly expensive; plus I love to recycle things if possible. And yes, we used to have horses so I know what you mean ... feed, hoof trimming, shoes, annuals, shots, floating teeth, ... it just goes on and on but they are beautiful animals! I see that in your avatar and in your mosaic.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM

My pressing surface also covered with wool WWI army blanket (doubled) that drapes down front & back sides. Someday I should refold or attach better but it stays fairly good.

I should replace the cover so might put new cover over the blanket.

Have 2 more of these blankets (yikes) so need to utilize them someday, someway.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Yes, use the wool blanket, yes it's okay to be frugal. Don't give up quilting or horses! Life's too short!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Love the precision wool mats. The heat does not go through so it stays cool on the bottom. Nice to sit by your machine. Check out Pat's review at https://www.ilovetomakequilts.com/20...ite-tool-.html
Old 01-20-2019, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Yes? No? Don't be so gosh darn cheap, Watson?

(Remember, I'm not only a quilter, I'm a horse owner and they need the blacksmith every 6 weeks for a pedicure! Gotta save my pennies.)
LOL! Baby needs new shoes! I'm cheap, too, and I made my wool pressing board by taking a piece of wood about a foot square, and using a wool blanket I felted to cover it. I used a scrap of silver ironing board cover on the other side.

Then I decided I wanted a smaller one, and used a 1/2" x 6" x about 12" piece of pallet wood (really nice oak, actually, which I sanded) used that same pink blanket for padding, and covered it with some white wool I salvaged from a wool jacket. They both work great, and are very handy. The wool pads that are sold for this are nice, I'm sure, but mine were free! free! free! and they work just fine, too. So, go for it! You're as creative as anyone around, so I know you can rig something with the best of them. Do so, Watson, and make it so.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Why not, I would wash them in hot water to felt them first. If they were felted you shouldn’t get more shrinkage when you use a hot iron on them.
Also, when felted they are thicker, so you don't have to use as many layers. Also, if they are felted first, you will be able to wash them in the future with impunity, knowing they will get no smaller. Probably.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Have 2 more of these blankets (yikes) so need to utilize them someday, someway.
Have you ever considered using one of them for the batting inside a quilt? That would be so warm!