Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
working with silk >

working with silk

working with silk

Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM

I must first off,. bed resgt is my idea of quilting! But I was able to go through stacks of mags that I had acumanlated (spellng?)
I stumbled acrossed this neat little book called 90 minute quilts.
It's with silk blocks that have been machine embroidered on larger then need squares with the backing, etc. This is a lobvely 32" by 43" 5 x 7 squares with border. I would love to taken maybe a smaller 6 patch with border as a small wall hanging. I have never tackled working with anything other then 100% cotton and sateen, so I am asking uf anyone else has worked in this medium? Sorry about spelling, still a little off key just learning toi space my mind which is attempting to go faster then my body is allowing me.. hugs to all and one more thing, I can now change my bluestarmom over to proud momma of the new lieutenant of the safey division of the entire Anne Arundel County Fire Dept. And will be eleible for his station in about a year and then could make Chief at the time. God never fails to amaze me as to the strengths of my two children.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM

I have made a couple of full size quilts and a wall hanging using only silk fabric. I start by ironing on a very thin interfacing that is made for silk. Then I can cut out my pieces and sew them together with no trouble. Even the miniature quilt ( the wall hanging ) which had pieces as small as 1/4" finished squares came out fine.
I wouldn't attempt it without the interfacing though, as it would slide and ravel on you as you worked with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 PM

thank Ms Maine ladybug.. you have given me a little information to print out and staple to this pattern. I just need to make sure I get the right interfacing. I knew I would need something, but interfacing is not something that I would normally have. Gads, I hope this foggy feeling disappears soon and I can get my words correct. I so miss when I am not able to enjoy the company of the quilt ladies... and it only took me 10 minutes to type this. One of the threads was what have you gotten from the hints etc. on this site. I can honestly tell you the most important thing you all have taught was stick with it, even when it's hit a snag, put it on the side until you can think it through and never be worried to toss it out to those at the quilting board. You are all wonderful.

Thanks so much.