Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
worn to the bones >

worn to the bones

worn to the bones

Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

It is beautiful! It is so nice that she used it so much. You can tell she loves it. Makes you feel so good!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

No wonder she loves her quilt, it is really a beauty, great square design and brilliant colors.

Easy enough to add a new binding. If there are any holes somewhere, maybe you could add some appliques of her favorites ..butterflies, posies whatever. and give it an all over good quilting.

I think it will last several more years OR you will have to make her a brand new one.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM

How nice to know that your quilt is sooooo loved
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM

31 years ago my daughter got a quilt from my mother, she worked long & hard on it (all hand done). Of all the blankets that my girl could pull around & roll around on it had to be THE ONE my mother made (it was mostly WHITE!). I had to replace the binding (make sure to have extra - you will need it again!), in middle school I needed to put on a new back (very worn!). My daughter still used it - when "Snoop" (quilt), looked so very worn out on the front (I had replaced the back at least 3 times), I talked my daughter into letting me make a blanket for "Snoop". I enclosed "Snoop" in something that I had my daughter help me pick out. My daughter still has "Snoop" under her bed and when she is sick she still pulls "Snoop" out and uses it. But she will not let her daughter use "Snoop" (lol).
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM

I made myself a quilt and I have one from a friend and when I am sick I grab both of them...the one I made is really tattered but I can't give it up. The binding was coming off and my dog got her neck caught in it so I learned a good lesson, just glad she was on my lap when it happened.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM

Thats a quilt that is well loved. Better than one that is never let out of the closet.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Jim

worn to the bones is another way of saying "WELL LOVED AND USED"...doesn't that feel good?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Oh yes ..absolutely....well the new binding is almost done...luckily had leftover batiks from making it yrs ago.....but there are little holes all over, mainly in one of the orange fabric...but i`m sure it will hold for a while....while i decide what to make for her next....think probably a scrappy....yes it was a challenge to hand quilt it...and i made a resolution to try at least one machine quilted quilt this yr.....wish me luck ....think i`ll do shadow quilting..never tried that before...usually stitch in the ditch..thanks everyone....keep on smilling!!!
Originally Posted by Jim
worn to the bones is another way of saying "WELL LOVED AND USED"...doesn't that feel good?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Where ever there are little holes, you could applique hearts to cover the holes. Or maybe circles, since the quilt is all squares.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM

If you are afraid of machine quilting as i am, use your waking foot and quilt straight lines. From my experience though, if you quilt on the diaginal the cotton thread will start breaking pretty quick when that bias is stretched. I'm using polyester next time.