Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worrying about thread choice >

Worrying about thread choice

Worrying about thread choice

Old 08-19-2015, 09:38 PM

Default Worrying about thread choice

I have a chevron quilt top of different colours and would like to use an invisible thread for my top thread as I am unhappy with the gazillion different colored threads I have tried on my sample blocks. Even soft greys seem to fight with some of my patterned fabrics and "take away" from the chevrons. I have read previous threads about the choice of using monofilament threads, both nylon and poly.

I purchased a Signature nylon monofilament thread as it was the type sold at my local quilt shop but on reading all the posts I am concerned I am doing the right thing? The quilt will be for my 2 year old grandson and I intend to use a serpentine stitch in horizontal lines 1" apart over the entire quilt. Is the nylon okay to use? When I snap the thread between my hands it breaks at about the same point that my cotton threads will break so I'm assuming it would be no more "dangerous" than if a loose loop of cotton thread happened to be worked loose by little fingers? My machine is very happy with it whilst I use cotton in the bobbin and reduce the tension. Should I try to source a poly invisible thread instead and why?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 PM

If the invisible thread snapped or came loose would hate it getting into tiny mouth. I'm using an invisible thread to zig zag applique and being very careful of it round my dogs as it is sharp.
Wait for others concerns.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 AM

I'm not sure of the safety of the clear threads, but poly is much nicer than the nylon. Another thought, if you get s thinner thread, it will "blend" in more with your fabrics. I'd go for at least a 50 weight and would even consider Invisifil 100 weight. What kind of thread were you sampling with your colors? I have a multi color chevron ready to go. I am going to use a variegated thread on the colored parts and a very light variegated on the white parts. I unrolled a bit and tried it on many of the colors and think I will be happy with it.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

I use the Superior Threads invisible thread often, it is my. ' go- to' choice anytime I need to use invisible. I use cotton or cotton/poly blend in the bobbin. It works great with my machine and has held up well in the projects I've used it for. I will say though- I've not used it on a quilt that might be laundered daily/weekly. So, I don't know if that could change things. I love the thread though. I would contact/visit Superior Threads and ask questions there. It has held up well on projects that are used a lot- just no experience with frequently laundered. I would assume though if it is washed gently and laid flat or tumble dried with low heat it would be fine... Just my guess. I do love it, so I would try it.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I really wouldn't use any invisible thread on a child's quilt. Can you post a photo of the quilt so we could give you some suggestions?? I am one who changes the color of thread to get the quilting to look perfect.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 PM

I often use a soft green- Spearmint Omni for quilts I cannot decide what color thread to use. Be sure to lay the thread out on the quilt to see how one strand will show. I used to try to pick thread by holding the cone up to the top. Now I lay a thread out-do I want to see it? contrast. Do I want just the texture of quilting? more matching. I am always surprised at how long it takes me to pick a thread...and how little effect it makes on the quilt as a whole. Stand back...I bet you won't be able to see what color it is anyway. JMHO
Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM

I don't know about the clear thread for quilting, but I have often thought of trying it. Without seeing your quilt its really hard to comment, but have you thought about a variegated thread? Honestly I have become addicted to quilting with variegated threads. I have found some King Tut colors that I just LOVE...
Old 08-20-2015, 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=meyert;7292366]I don't know about the clear thread for quilting, but I have often thought of trying it. Without seeing your quilt its really hard to comment, but have you thought about a variegated thread? [QUOTE]

The first quilt I made I used the invisible thread. It looked wonderful, but after several washings/dryings, it has broken, come loose, and is a terrible mess. I would advise against that thread, especially for a small child.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:14 PM

I would stay away from clear threads in quilts that will have to be washed often. Sewing with invisible thread is like sewing with hair. I don't think it would stand up to the wear and tear. I think you best bet is to use a solid color light thread. Either light grey or almond.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. Here's a picture of the quilt top. So, after much deliberation, grumping, wondering if macrame would be a better hobby, and generally moping about I've decided not to use the invisible thread for the quilt....definately will use it in the future; perhaps for something for me, or another adult. Anyhoo, have decided to not do the serpentine stitch either but was thinking instead to do straight line stitching echoing all the chevrons using white thread for the white and a dark grey thread for all the blues. I tried a few rows of the serpentine stitch but to my eyes it just confused the whole effect particularly on the white chevrons...no matter what colour thread I used unless it was white. But then the white thread looked too intrusive on my blues and the idea of changing from white to grey thread every time I crossed over from one coloured chevron to a white one had me breaking out in a sweat and checking my red wine stock in the cupboard!!! So, straight line stitching it is...white in the white chevron rows and grey in the blues. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails 2015-07-26_17-05-49_218-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 08-22-2015 at 03:33 AM.