Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would it bother you? >

Would it bother you?

Would it bother you?

Old 08-07-2020, 04:06 AM

It would upset me because like you, I would vote for the one I thought was the best even if it wasn’t mine. It is unfortunate and the reason I no longer would be involved.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:51 AM

I entered one of those contests at a local quilt shop. We had to use certain fabric but could add some of our own material. The goal was to make 100 different blocks and use them all. I made a queen sized quilt and quilted it myself. Some folks made smaller projects but submitted them anyway. The winner did make a full sized quilt but had it quilted by a professional. In all honesty....I really think my quilt was in contention for the prize and I had done it all myself. The quilt who won had the most popular votes. What can I say. Anyway. I learned a lesson, that these types of contests are really a sales marketing ploy by the shop owner to sell more product and a popularity contest based on who you will have vote for you. It has very little to do with the actual quality of your work. And unlike a real quilt show, you do not get any feedback from professional judges on how to improve your work in the future. But I did enjoy the process of making the quilt using fabrics and a pattern outside of my usual and I did gift the quilt to my nephew and his wife who have chosen to use it in their guest bedroom.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 AM

Yes, it would bother me for a short minute and then I would move forward knowing the contest was 'rigged' somehow most likely by solicited votes. I usually don't bother with contest for that reason.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
It would definitely cause sour grapes! The higher the stakes, the more incentive to cheat!
Off subject, but, don't get me started on fishing tournaments. You wouldn't believe what people do to win! Stuff fish with ice or lead weights, previously frozen...
You have me laughing with the description of fishing tournament.

I have to say that I don't think quilt shop meant to make this an online vote. The original closing date for contest was May 15 and due to COVID 19 they extended to July 15. They were going to display all entries in store which they have done before and voting would take place there but since they were closed until June and now only allow a limited number of customers at a time with reduced hours they decided to make vote online. Anyway it is what it is and I was just wondering how others felt.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I have to say I did win a Viewer's Choice at a local quilt show. It was a total surprise as my quilt was not the best made. None of my family attended and all my friends had quilts entered too. That is the best kind of win feeling. I wouldn't trade it for a scam win at all.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:38 AM

Yes, that would bother me but rest assured that you are not the only one who noticed the influx of votes.

Watson
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I learned a lesson, that these types of contests are really a sales marketing ploy by the shop owner to sell more product and a popularity contest based on who you will have vote for you.
Yes, this! I do not even react to these any more.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I remember when Accuquilt had online voting for a winning block for the year. One quilter was so determined to have a win she flooded facebook with pleas to vote for the block. She said the most votes wins not if it was the best block so she said it wasn't cheating at all only self promotion and others were fine with it and defended her. It's hard to think there are so many like this in the world but there are and growing.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:52 AM

Contests like that can certainly bring out the worst in some people. It wouldn't bother me because if I enter anything like that, I just do it for the fun of it. One time, I won a little contest in my Bee. When they announced who won it, one of my friends said, "Oh, I thought that was Tina's." She had lobbied for Tina's project to win.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:04 AM

Life is too short, Shallow people will always be shallow people. I completely agree with rjwilder - see posted comment!