Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: ??would like to start my first needleturn applique??

  1. #1
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,059
    I "know" in theory almost everthing available on this board about needleturn applique but how on earth do you manage if the mustace of Santa is in the middle smaller than (one of) the seamallowance?? Or the stuff the reindeers have on their head - I dont think it is called horn!?

    Any help would be highly appreciated
    Granny

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    Honestly? I'm not sure that you do. In those cases, I've used 1/8" or simple embroidery.

  3. #3
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Couldn't you just embrodier the mustache and antlers on?

  4. #4
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    Couldn't you just embrodier the mustache and antlers on?
    So it is called antlers then? Thanks. The pattern (outline without a lot of instruction) calles for applique so there has to be a way to do it!?

  5. #5
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    Couldn't you just embrodier the mustache and antlers on?
    So it is called antlers then? Thanks. The pattern (outline without a lot of instruction) calles for applique so there has to be a way to do it!?
    Yes, you can applique' over the top of another piece of applique' so the mustache can be put on the face. The antlers can be appliqued also, they just may have some small pieces and be hard to do.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    601
    Don't assume the instructions are correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug
    Couldn't you just embrodier the mustache and antlers on?
    So it is called antlers then? Thanks. The pattern (outline without a lot of instruction) calles for applique so there has to be a way to do it!?
    ;)

  7. #7
    Super Member maine ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    3,002
    Maybe if we could see the instructions some how we could make more sense out of it and give more help.

  8. #8
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,059
    Thanks a lot. It is most likely as you said: very hard to do but normal needleturn.
    I think I will have to practice before I start with the actual blocks.

  9. #9
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    if it suited the piece you could always cut the mustache and antlers from felt and stitch them down using blanket stitch

  10. #10
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    if it suited the piece you could always cut the mustache and antlers from felt and stitch them down using blanket stitch
    thank you, that is a very good idea. I try first needleturn and if I am not able to do it nicely I will have to add felt to my stash........... :lol:

  11. #11
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,305
    Blog Entries
    1
    are you using felt for your appliques???
    if so, no turn under is used. the felt does not fray and is used without any turn under allowance added. needle turn applique is done with regular quilting cottons; the beauty of using wool felt is so you do not have to turn anything under. i use freezer paper templates with wool/felt, cut the pieces exact and stitch down either using a blanket stitch-decorative stitch or a regular straight stitch just depending on the finished look i want.


    Quote Originally Posted by granny_59
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee
    if it suited the piece you could always cut the mustache and antlers from felt and stitch them down using blanket stitch
    thank you, that is a very good idea. I try first needleturn and if I am not able to do it nicely I will have to add felt to my stash........... :lol:

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    553
    I will try to describe, without pictures, how to do small pieces.
    My camera is out of service, or I would post pics.

    When I do needleturn, I make a pattern for the piece out of freezerpaper and press it to the RIGHT side of the fabric, draw around the pattern with your marking pencil, then remove the freezer paper. So, you have the piece marked on your fabric and now you are ready to cut it out.

    Normally, with a larger piece, you would cut the piece out with a 1/8 inch seam allowance. But with a tiny piece, if you did that, you would not be able to handle the piece, pin it in place, etc. So what you will do is cut it out with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

    Using the 1/2 inch seam allowance pin the piece in place on your block. Pin on one side of the piece only, like the bottom or the top. Now, trim the other side, including around the curves and corners, to 1/8 inch seam allowance and applique that portion to the block turning under just past the mark, so it is not seen.

    When you have one side down, remove the pin, trim the rest of the seam allowance to 1/8 inch. You can also go under the part that you have stitched down and trim it back very close to the stitching. Finish appliqueing the piece.

    This takes a little practice, but once you have done it, you will be able to use the technique often in your needleturn travels.

  13. #13
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    I've got a project started (only 9 months of sitting on the shelf) that have deer with antlers....the antlers intimidate me, too!!! I found that making the 1/4" seam allowance smaller than normal helped....and using very tiny stitches, too.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    991
    thanks JCQuilts! That explanation makes good sense even without pictures! I am not the original poster, but have had a tough time with the smaller pieces (such that many times I just edit them off LOL).

    Thanks for sharing!

  15. #15
    Super Member granny_59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    thanks JCQuilts! That explanation makes good sense even without pictures! I am not the original poster, but have had a tough time with the smaller pieces (such that many times I just edit them off LOL).

    Thanks for sharing!
    Same over here, thank you very much! A great idea to needleturn one side with a 1/4" seamallowance and trim after finishing. I really have the ambition to do it with cotton fabric.
    Granny

  16. #16
    Super Member boohoofish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgetown, TX
    Posts
    2,434
    I haven't done many small pieces of needleturn yet. But on a few and I certainly recommend for deer antlers using ultrasuede (true not one that can fray on the edges). You just cut the shape you want and then applique - no turning under and you can make sharp points since it doesn't fray. I am in a small applique group and they have been using ultrasuede for years. Hope this helps. If you have any questions on this send me a pm.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    thanks JCQuilts! That explanation makes good sense even without pictures! I am not the original poster, but have had a tough time with the smaller pieces (such that many times I just edit them off LOL).

    Thanks for sharing!
    You are very welcome. I love needleturn applique and love to teach it. Let me know if you have other stumbling blocks.

  18. #18
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    thanks for that makes alot of sense will have to try it out - I do alot of applique so will be very useful usually avooid anything with tiny pieces
    Quote Originally Posted by JCquilts
    I will try to describe, without pictures, how to do small pieces.
    My camera is out of service, or I would post pics.

    When I do needleturn, I make a pattern for the piece out of freezerpaper and press it to the RIGHT side of the fabric, draw around the pattern with your marking pencil, then remove the freezer paper. So, you have the piece marked on your fabric and now you are ready to cut it out.

    Normally, with a larger piece, you would cut the piece out with a 1/8 inch seam allowance. But with a tiny piece, if you did that, you would not be able to handle the piece, pin it in place, etc. So what you will do is cut it out with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

    Using the 1/2 inch seam allowance pin the piece in place on your block. Pin on one side of the piece only, like the bottom or the top. Now, trim the other side, including around the curves and corners, to 1/8 inch seam allowance and applique that portion to the block turning under just past the mark, so it is not seen.

    When you have one side down, remove the pin, trim the rest of the seam allowance to 1/8 inch. You can also go under the part that you have stitched down and trim it back very close to the stitching. Finish appliqueing the piece.

    This takes a little practice, but once you have done it, you will be able to use the technique often in your needleturn travels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.