Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
would the walking foot solve this? >

would the walking foot solve this?

would the walking foot solve this?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Default would the walking foot solve this?

I have made several tshirt quilts, but it has been a few years since I worked on one. I am working on the first of three that I will be making and I am having an issue that I don't recall having before. (maybe I just wasn't paying attention before )

I have my blocks cut the same size - I have double and tripled checked. But when I am sewing the bottom block seems to "shrink"

the small pieces (4 to 6 inches) I don't really notice. On the bigger pieces the top blocks ends up hanging over by a good amount by time I am done. To combat that I sew half way and then stop and start at the other end

Now I have 3 big long strips for the top ready to sew together and I don't want to mess with that.

Would the walking foot resolve this issue? (at least make it better)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-11-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 08-11-2018, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

The feed dogs do take up a bit more fabric on the bottom with regular sewing and a walking foot may help. If you still have trouble, use lots of pins along the length and then use a pin to kind of sweep the top fabric towards the needle as you sew if you see a wrinkle developing before the pin.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:27 PM

You could try changing the pressure of your foot to see if that helps.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:56 PM

It sounds like the fabrics are stretching. You can add a row of stay tape to the block and then stitch together. It will help prevent that stretching.

Are you pinning the blocks together before stitching? Are the blocks fused with a backing stabilizer? There are light weight ones that do not add bulk to the project.

There are some tips here that might help. I have used this tape to shorten some knit work shirts. It is nice to work with on these types of fabrics.

https://emmaseabrooke.com/
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM

thanks for your tips.. yes the tshirts have iron on fusible. I will try the pinning and I might change the pressure of my foot - never thought of that
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 AM

I have in the past used tissue paper, cut in strips about 3", then sew with it on the bottom and the fabrics will slide better.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:02 PM

If it were me having that kind of issue, not only would I break out my walking foot, but I would also pin, pin, pin. I hate frog-sewing, so I have learned to pin anything that may be an issue or might attempt to fight back. I am ruthless with my pins but I never sew over them.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:08 AM

Madamekelly, you just used a term I haven't heard before....what is "frog-sewing?"
Old 08-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bljackson58 View Post
Madamekelly, you just used a term I haven't heard before....what is "frog-sewing?"
“Frog sewing” is using a seam ripper. “Rip it” “Rip it” “Ripit!” Lol.

I made a blouse yesterday, and had to take out 7 (seven) different seams! Some days it does not pay to touch my sewing machines. Lol. I did get the blouse done though.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:57 PM

definitely check the presser foot pressure--with 2 t-shirts and 2 layers of stablizer it's probably having trouble moving through evenly. And also use a walking foot if you have one.