Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you give your first quilt... >

Would you give your first quilt...

Would you give your first quilt...

Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM

I kept my first, second and third and then decided to gift some to the grandkids. They didn't care if things weren't straight and the lessons learned on those first 3 were great. Still learning and every quilt I make has some elements I'm not thrilled with but they're never boring. If you'll be unhappy with them having it just don't do it. Make something new with better fabrics and the lessons learned on the first one.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM

I agree - finish it and wash it and decide then. I think if you are going to give a gift, you should give it with a happy heart....not doubt. If you are not happy enough with this one - take your time and make another. You will learn something on your 2nd quilt as well...but i think you will be happier if you keep your first.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 PM

I did give my first quilt as a gift, and even though it wasn't perfect it was met with heartfelt thanks. If you are not happy with the result then I would recommend keeping it around and making something you would be happy to gift. None of my quilts are perfect but as long as I know I worked hard on them, I'm happy with the result.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

I actually did give away my first one, but it is not very far, just across the way. I gave it to my sister for Christmas one year. She was at my house and saw the top finished and sitting on my ironing board. She said “Well, should I take it with me now, or will you wrap it up for Christmas.” I tried to talk her out of it, and when she went home, I made the decision to give it to her.

It was already half done, and I KNEW she would love it. It did not really bother me to give it to her, because I can see it any time, plus I took pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails suzieschristmasninepatch.jpg  

Last edited by Boston1954; 04-01-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM

If you're worried about the quality, they won't see the mistakes that you see. That being said, your second quilt will go so much better than your first! I would keep the first as a benchmark for your future quilts, and make another for them.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:29 PM

Or! If you don't want to make a quilt for them, cluckclucksew has a tutorial for a car seat cover that I've made for two new little ones and it got RAVE reviews! (we lived in an area that got a lot of rain so for the top fabric, I used PUL with a Dr. Seuss print - not to brag, but it was super cute) I also made a changing pad for a friend of mine with PUL fabric on the back side so it can be wiped off after using it in a public bathroom - that was also a much loved/needed gift. There are patterns for those out there, too - I didn't use one, just made a small quilt and put an elastic to the side of one end so it could be rolled up and secured.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I think you should keep it. It's nice to see the progress you make.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Each quilt you make will have some sort of issue -- piecing isn't quite good enough, colors aren't just right, borders are a little wonky, quilting leaves something to be desired. But the recipient doesn't see any of those things -- they just feel loved because of all the thought, work, blood, sweat and tears go into the piece.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 PM

My first and second quilts live with my nephews. I have several tops that I need to quilt - and eventually I will keep a few of them.

Cheers, K
Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 AM

I kept mine, but it was made specifically for me. Over time a few seams split and I had to fix them. When I gave away the first few quilts, I told the recipient that I was still learning, and that repairs were free.
I've never had one returned to me. I recently was at my sister's house and inspected the quilt I gave to her(one of my firsts). I could see that it had been laundered several times, and it looked great!