Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay this for a Featherweight?

Blog Entries
    There is a tan coloured Featherweight 221K available. The seller wanted $450 (CAN) for it but is willing to sell it to me for $300. I'm wondering if that's a good deal or not.
    It's supposed to be in excellent condition and sews well.
    Any opinions??

Blog Entries
    Can you get pics ? seriel number ?

Blog Entries
    I would pay $300 U.S. if the machine is in working order, very good cosmetic condition (not necessarily perfect, but not lots of worn-away decals), wiring is good, and it comes with the case and accessories.

Without the case, featherweights used to sell for about $300 U.S. but I think with the downturn in the economy over the last couple of years the value is less now, which is why I would want the case and accessories with it. I'm not sure how $300 Can compares to US dollars.

Hmmm... Maybe the tan doesn't have decals. The white doesn't.

Blog Entries
    I paid $250 and paid $90 to get it up and running. Someone on the board is always getting a great buy but none have ever come my way. Decided what your limit is and do your search. If you don't want to be bothered with searching anymore I think that is a fair price. Just my opinion.

mim
    I boughtt my featherweight 10 years ago for $500 USD I like the idea that I can take it apart and clean, adjust and repair anything that might go wrong with it. I have taken it all over the US in its wood box. It is great for classes. Altho I think some of the new low end (cheap) ones are OK for toting around.

My older sister has had one since the 50s -- she bought it with the ttable and has never used anything else.

It all depends what you want it for

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    There is a tan coloured Featherweight 221K available. The seller wanted $450 (CAN) for it but is willing to sell it to me for $300. I'm wondering if that's a good deal or not.
    Any opinions??

Does it have the case with it? any accessories? I've never seen/heard of a tan one. I'd go for it.

Blog Entries
    Make sure it is original, and not one of the new copies they are making. I have a 221-1, never heard of the 221k.

The "K" means it was manufactured in Kilbowie, Scotland. Therefore the K was added to the 221 for verifacation.

Blog Entries
    I WOULD SERIOUSLY wonder why the seller has dropped $150.00 off of the selling price. To me that is a red flag. I'd be leery. If you can test run it then you know.

Blog Entries
    It's been up for sale for a while and I offered $150 less than asking price.

Blog Entries
    can you test run this machine at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    can you test run this machine at all ?
    Actually there is not to much that can go wrong with a Featherweight. I have always fixed them myself. I have sold quite a few of them.

Banned
    For a Tan FW I would give that in a New York second!! I dont care if it was locked up or not, if it is in good cosmetic condition that is a steal!!

Billy

Smart! Personally, if it came with case and accessories, I would be tempted just because I need the lighter color.

Interested to see what the experts think.

Blog Entries
    I would be tempted just because I need the lighter color
    I'm starting to think that way too.

When I was in the market recently that seemed like what the white or tan ones were going for. As others have said, make sure you get a case and accessories.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    For a Tan FW I would give that in a New York second!! I dont care if it was locked up or not, if it is in good cosmetic condition that is a steal!!

Billy
    hey Billy,
    a friend of mine has a free arm one that I am desperately trying to get from him.

Blog Entries

Get it!!

Any opinions??
    well, the tan is a very sought after machine in the States. excellant price if it is not scratched, etc. I found one and am disappointed because no matter what we do to it, it is louder and tinnier than my old black FW. If it has the case, it is a very good buy.

Hope you get it! Sounds like a deal to me!

Banned

Billy
    hey Billy,
    a friend of mine has a free arm one that I am desperately trying to get from him.
    That is the only one I really want is the 222K. I have played with enough FW's that I really dont want one other than the Texas State Fair badged one from 1939.

Billy

If the machine is in good shape and without a lot of scratching of the paint, it could well be worth that. Do you have photographs and serial numbers for the machine? Of course, I'd ask about packing as there are ways to pack a machine so that the thread holder doesn't break and that sort of thing. I'd probably ask that it be professionally packed.

Blog Entries

Billy
    hey Billy,
    That is the only one I really want is the 222K. I have played with enough FW's that I really dont want one other than the Texas State Fair badged one from 1939.

Billy
    Billy,
    what does this mean
    the Texas State Fair badged one from 1939.

Banned
    Billy,
    what does this mean
    the Texas State Fair badged one from 1939.
    It was a special badge that Singer put on the machine to celebrate the Texas State Fairs centennial (?) It has a Red border and has the Texas State Fair around the badge. I have only seen one but there were several hundred made for that event.

Billy

Blog Entries
    If you prefer tan, then buy it because they are harder to find..and the price is not unreasonable....but if you don't have a preference then wait because you can probably get a better deal on a black one...I had my eyes open for the longest time and found nothing..then last Juy I saw an add and got it for $125, then...3 weeks later I find another lonely one at an Estate sale, Centennial Edition..marked for $195...left a bid for $70...nobody bought it so I picked it up for $70.00 next day...I am in Toronto...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast