Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you Serge it together? >

Would you Serge it together?

Would you Serge it together?

Old 08-12-2023, 07:15 AM

Default Would you Serge it together?

I知 trying to figure out what to do with my leftover apparel fabric pieces, some are pretty big, and I was thinking of making a quilt with the different fabrics. Do you think Serging them together with a flat lock stitch would work best? Many are knit fabrics, but I have wovens like linen, and micro suede and satins. I don稚 think I could free motion quilt it, probably hand tie? Anyone ever try this before?
Old 08-12-2023, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LogCabin82 View Post
I知 trying to figure out what to do with my leftover apparel fabric pieces, some are pretty big, and I was thinking of making a quilt with the different fabrics. Do you think Serging them together with a flat lock stitch would work best? Many are knit fabrics, but I have wovens like linen, and micro suede and satins. I don稚 think I could free motion quilt it, probably hand tie? Anyone ever try this before?
there are YouTube videos about serging quilts together. Some are quilt as you go. I made a small one once from scrap strips for a grandchild. Even though you have knits there is no good reason not to at least give it a go. If you don't like the result you can stop. Or you might end up with a favorite!
Old 08-13-2023, 07:39 PM

If you do this remember your iron will and must be your best friend. I tried it once in a class. I was unsuccessful because one person in the class hogged the iron. She was successful.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:40 PM

I've made a few memory quilts with knit fabrics. I fused Shape Flex to the back of each piece. It quilted up very well.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:37 PM

In the quilting workshop I attended today my instructor serged her quilt units. I had never seen this before! Big time saver...