Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want to know if someone notices a flaw?

Blog Entries
    If you posted a picture of a quilt here on the board, would you want to know if someone noticed a flaw?

A few weeks ago, someone posted a photo of a quilt, and I noticed one block was 180 degrees off. It really stood out to me, probably because I had done a quilt with the same pattern just before seeing this photo. But, I didn't want to comment on it ... just seemed, I don't know, kind of nit-picky?

But, then I was thinking, if I knew a quilt had a flaw, but I figured no one would notice, I'd really want to know if someone DID notice.

What do you all think?

bkb
    i would want to know too....unless i said please ignore the----i know its there.

I would want to know.

Blog Entries
    I would not want to know. I'm very aware of the flaws in my quilts but they are a labor of love. Love for person I made it for and love of being a quilter.

If the quilt hasn't been quilted yet, I'd want to know. I might decide to fix it, might not, but at least I'd have the opportunity.

If the quilting has been done, then it's too late to do anything about it, so what's the point of knowing? I guess I'd treat it as a design decision. LOL

RST
    Blog Entries
    I think I would most certainly want to know if it was in design wall stage or even if pieced but not yet quilted. Once it's quilted, there's not much you can do about it, and at that point all I would want to hear is that you love the way I incorporated that one unique block to make the work so much more interesting and personal ;)

RST

I would prolly want to know but would not fix it after it was all quilted. Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

It is staying there because I did heavy quilting. I still love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You will see many posts where a member will ask for opinions on color, layout, etc. I think it is perfectly fine to give an opinion - providing I have one.

Sometimes, members post pictures and they talk about "the flaw" in the top and we generally spend a lot of time finding it. Most times, it is an error that blends so beautifully into the design - without a big pointy stick NOBODY would notice.

Other members post pictures to show off their work. They are pleased with what they have accomplished and (I believe) are looking for general comments from their fellow quilters.

Pointing out an error without invitation to do so would be like bringing out the quilt police. Either the maker DID NOT notice it, and who am I to tattle? OR, he or she did notice it and hopes to heck that the rest of us won't notice. Or it is not important in the greater scheme of things.

IMHO, it is not acceptable to point out an error on a finished quilt.

That said: On occasion, I have seen some works in progress where members expressed frustrations with the executiop. If I know of a way to give advice of how to improve the block - then I will share.

But in the end, we each have to follow our own drummer and do what feels right to us.

Blog Entries
    Depends. I did a quilt a while back and did not post pics here because it was one of those no pattern things and I know there are heaps of things I could have done better. If I hadposted and you had pointed out those things, I would not have been happy.

But then again, I am working on a serious quilt as well and if you saw a fixable error in that I would definitely like to know, as I would surely notice it myself sooner or later and then it would bug me anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    . Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

What? The chimneys don't meet fire regulations?!!

Blog Entries
    I would never publicly point out a flaw. How am I supposed to know it was a flaw and not a design decision. I would never want to embarrass anyone, especially a newbie who poured love and sweat into that quilt. I have said it before, I am not the perfect quilter, but I sure have fun trying.
    If you feel the need to point it out, please pm. :)

When I go to quilt shows there will, invariably, be a local group of magpies that do NOTHING but move from quilt to quilt nitpicking.It makes me sad because I rarely hear a kind word from any of them.

Conversely, if I posted a quilt photo here and someone wrote a critique I wouldn't feel upset because the overwhelming tone of this board is of encouragement. In fact, I've never read a comment here that wasn't couched in kindness.

Blog Entries
    is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.
    OMG - it could easily be part of the design and THAT is how I would look at it. I think it gives more character. (Took FOREVER to find, BTW)

lol I haven't decided.

If it's not quilted yet...maybe...if it's an easy fix. lol

When I made my son's quilt a few weeks back, one of my pinwheel corner stones didn't match with the border strip colours between them properly...I knew it before I sewed the blocks to the strips and the borders to the quilt. I didn't care. I decided not to point it out and consider it a character trait instead of a flaw. ;)

Blog Entries
    I may be the odd man out, but if I have a mistake I DEFINITELY want to know. I have told a couple people about mistakes and they were able to fix them. I don't consider it being critical at all. I would prefer to know before I give something to someone that there is a mistake.

I turned a block in a top that I posted here. I did not see that block until I saw it on the screen. Noone else seemed to notice. I am so thankful I saw it before I quilted it...If I hadn't seen it, I would hope someone would have told me.

Sometimes we look at it so much we don't see the flaw. If I have time I let it sit for a while and walk away for a few hours or a few days. Then go back and look with fresh eyes. If I don't have time....I have one of my girls or my hub look at it. They will tell me right away. I would really want to know before I got too far in to fix it.

Blog Entries
    I want to know, no problem with knowing for me!

Maybe you could make the comment, I think I see something you might not have noticed but it might be your decision to make us "think"...PM me if you want to have more info....by the way your quilt is lovely????

I want to know, but if I am not asking for help and just doing a "show and tell" I prefer a PM to avoid possible public humiliation (for lack of a better term)

Blog Entries
    If I post a WIP, I would hope that someone with more experience or just a new pair of eyes would let me know of an error, especially if it's fixable. On the other hand, if I post a finished product just to share, I'm not really looking for criticisms (even constructive ones) :)

No. It would serve no purpose on something that is finished and long gone. Some people are more sensitive than others so unless you personally know the person you have no idea how they will take your comments.

You might note on your post if anyone sees a mistake to let you know if that's your preference.

Blog Entries
    I would prolly want to know but would not fix it after it was all quilted. Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

where.........? where is the flaw at.....I can't see it......? I think it's truly beautiful. I don't see any flaws with your project.

Blog Entries
    I told people who had not quilted their tops and they were able to fix them. I don't know, I guess it depends if you consider it criticism(I didn't!). I was trying to help, but maybe I will think twice next time...

Blog Entries
    I did not see it at first. I probably would not say anything. I had a friend who would turn work over and scrutinize the back side to see how well you had done. I moved and lost touch, but never saw anyone say anything negative to her. She was a nice lady, just her way.

Blog Entries
    I think that if we were asked for our opinions, and I saw a glaring one (to me) that no one else has commented on, I would PM her/him and mention it diplomatically as possible. I'm sure in such a situation she/he would like to know. Especially if that quilt was on its way to a show.
    Otherwise, I would remark on the lovely colors and shut up about any perceived flaws.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast