Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wouldn't it be fun to journal your quilts like this? >

Wouldn't it be fun to journal your quilts like this?

Wouldn't it be fun to journal your quilts like this?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Wouldn't it be fun to journal your quilts like this?

I just got next year's calendar from one of my vendors. It pictures old timey paintings, very folk art.

They are paintings by Jane Wooster Scott. She has 2 which show quilts.

One is titled "Quigley's Quality Quilts" and that is the one that gave me the idea. Searching for a pic to show you, I found another titled "Quilts of Cape Cod".

My idea is what if we journaled the quilts we made, do a wall hanging with a house that looks like ours. Then, have several clothes lines around, or fences. And as we finish a real quilt, we take a photo of it, and print it on fabric, true color, and hang it on the clothesline! It would show us all the variety in color and pattern, and help us remember what we have done. Plus it would give us a fun wall hanging!

Here is the pics from the calendar:
http://www.mgcpuzzles.com/mgcpuzzles...y_quilts_A.jpg

http://www.mgcpuzzles.com/mgcpuzzles...ape_cod_1A.jpg
Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

some of us do 'journal' our quilts-
your idea of the wallhanging is cute- go for it!
i keep a notebook- i write notes (like a journal) i take pictures- i add swatches--i include details---who it's for- when i started/finished it- problems-joys---what ever---it is kind of fun to sometimes go back and look at quilts i made years ago and forgot about- or i can pull out a fabric from my stash and wondering what in the world i used that for---go find it-
it is a nice way to keep a record of your projects.
i also keep a batting journal-and a thread journal -- if i am shopping for either i look through my notes and make sure i purchase what i really want- instead of getting home to find i tried that same thread (or batt) 2 years ago and hated it---i can look it up and know the what, when and why's
Old 12-13-2011, 02:04 PM

That is a really fab idea! I also really like ckcowl's suggestions, although past experience suggests I am probably not dedicated enough to succeed...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM

I have a journal that I bought years ago from a book club. I don't have any quilts listed in it. I am trying to take pictures of all the quilts I have made and given away. There are 2 pictures in my camera so far. I think I'm hopeless.
Sue
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Oh my goodness! Is that a Charles Wysocki background for the quilts???? I'm thinking it has to be. I have been addicted to his jigsaw puzzles forever - and now he is gone. There won't be anymore. I NEED to make my own! Thanks for the link. Fans are fans and I am thrilled to have this to work with.