Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow!  Fabric Prices! >

Wow! Fabric Prices!

Wow! Fabric Prices!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 PM

i've started going to thrift stores--remarkably there are always many, many fabrics available. i also check out 'cotton' dresses and cut them up; cotton sheets...i, too find they say one thing to get you hooked into their store to find there isn't much of a sale. i read an article on the ladies of the Civil War Era and how much they paid for material for quilts-at that time-some 12. a yard! so many of them started using old clothes, too. i've made (3) fan quilts; attic windows, to name a few-sorry, most of my material is NOT from a fabric store.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ammorgan

I'm half tempted to drive to a Wal-Mart that has bolts of fabric, because I believe they are still cheaper than Joann's even though I know they have increased their prices too.
I went to walmart that's farther from me last week that still has fabric and I found the pattern of the month fabrics, three of the eight prints were $2.35/yard. I'll go back in a couple weeks to see if the others are at that price.

Prices are high, that's why eBay and I are BFF's :)
Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 PM

what irks me is people saying i'm a 'hoarder'...(2 new words in everyday vocabulary that really ticks me off--HOARDER & BUNDLER!) anyways...i say...'HELLO, MY NAME IS DESANKA, AND I AM AN ADDICT---to quilting!! (and crocheting) i have everything nicely organized in clear plastic totes-every color imaginable for yarn...tote boxes for every imaginable fabric-all colors; to xmas fabric; fleece; large flower print; small flower print...some 32 boxes of fabric alone...in the garage-along with one of my cutting tables...in the house is another cutting table/sewing machine and started projects...HOARDER? I THINK NOT! (isn't that what a yarn & fabric shop looks like??)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244839.jpe  
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 PM

Definitely an eye opener. congrats on your baby girl. all the best to the both of you.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM

I do have a fabric stash but I don't think I would even have the fabric I need to make the pattern I want to make and in the colors I want to use. :(