Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow, I was impressed........ >

Wow, I was impressed........

Wow, I was impressed........

Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 AM

I agree with Geri B. Walmart has a great fabric dept. in my area now. Helpers are great and very friendly and I found everything I needed (and then some!). Prices are reasonable and I found better fabrics than at the old Walmart. This is a new Walmart and notions are much cheaper in price!! Yay, yay!!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Was in the year old WM here in Iowa City the other day & was surprised that the fabric department has increased it's product line, using the same space more efficiently. The selection was nice, but I did not check the quality etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
well, I had not been to the Walmart that has a Fabric Dept. (not the one closest to me - 7 miles-this one is about 25 miles away) for about a month, but a needed a notion and did not want to "travel" to the JoAnn-about 25 miles only in a different direction-more traffic, so there I was. Well, I was pleasantly surprised....not only had the dept. expanded with more bolts, and better, I might add, but more notions, and pre-cut jelly rolls, charms, and also 1/2yd and 1 yd, along with fat quarters, priced a lot more reasonably than LQS....plus they had some of their "old" bolts at clearance...actually two whole shelf units full.....and I had fun shopping.....and as I was having the fabric pieces cut I mentioned to the "associate" to let whomever is in charge know how great I thought the improvement was and "thanks".....she said altho the fabric was priced a little higher than previously it seemed to be getting good results. Sometimes I wonder about these surges in prices on various commodities.....gas, with its "shortages, causing this see-saw pricing, cotton shortage now causing the same for us.......my wallet has a shortage lately, so I will definitely continue to seek out the best possible price for what I need/want and shop there, just as if I want to go out to "eat", sometimes, McD is all I can swing........just had to say...thanks to Walmart for giving us another alternative for shopping........all my quilt projects are not intended to be Heirloom, just my personal therapy and if they don't last forever, I don't care......
My thoughts are the same, a lot of people make bad statements about wall mart but they provide where others don't. so they aren't union is the driving force behind the bad statements..sorry just had to say that. There are alot of people that can't shop at the high end stores I'm one of them so I know how it feels when some one makes the bad statements. everyone to their own...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM

I think Wal-Mart gets a bad rap generally. For one thing, they listen to their customers. When they began taking fabric out of all their stores, the response was apparently instant and loud. So they are putting fabric depts back into most stores, especially super Wal-Marts. Also, Wal-Mart will take ANYTHING back, if it was purchased at a Wal-Mart. I don't get that kind of customer service anywhere else, certainly not at Target. My son worked in the automotive department of a Wal-Mart for many years, before going back to school to finish his degree, and his salary and benefits equalled those at other like corporations, plus he got profit sharing and stock options at no cost to him ( this is no longer true, I think, due to the current economy). For the record, I have no financial interest in Wal-Mart; just my opinion.

I've bought some good fabric at Wal-Mart and it's always cheaper than at Jo-Ann's. They sell FQ for .97, as noted here, while Jo-Ann's sell theirs (same fabric choices) for $1.99.

My .02....and that's about what it's worth. ;-)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM

I don't think about whether Walmart or any other store is 'unionized' when I shop. I shop where I shop because:

1) they have products I want at a price I can pay.
2) Convenience
3) Selection
4) the staff is courteous

I frequently shop Walmart and have always found the fabric dept staff to be helpful and friendly. And they do cut fabric well in the stores I shop in.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:27 AM

I have heard about wal-mart's "bad" fabric for ever it seems. Just wanted to let everyone know, that I am using 2 quilts daily that are over 30 years old made from their fabrics.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM

My own experience in my very small town, is that Walmart is carrying more and more fabrics, and in some cases changing from what I used to find there. They no longer sell interfacing by the yard nor muslin and i could not find any plain white to use for my nightgowns for the dolls I make and give away to kids with devestating medical problems. I saw lots of pretty fabric, but still have plenty of that. It was the doll bodys and the nightgowns I was running short on..anyway....nothing I could use. The nearest fabric store is 2 hours away for more fabric, so that isn't an option. On-line the places carrying fabric to sell and their P&H charge is extreme. OKAY...I'm rambling.

I have a sister in law that lives 17 driving hours away. They come up here in the RV each summer. (She will be here early June) She lives in a large town. I explained to her my biggest need was for muslin or something similar, for more doll bodys, and asked if she could find some there and let me send her the money to buy it. She could bring it up with her. She went out the next day to JoAnne's fabric & craft store. There was some muslin there. The lady had her go up front and get a 40% off discount coupon they leave out for customers. It saved her $14 off the price. She got just over 12 yards of extra length (did she say 90 or 60 inches wide....I forget, but anyway, she called me first with my approval, bought it for $58.10 . I considered that a great buy and I can dye some of it for different skin tones if I wish. I will get several doll bodys from it. Anyway, she had been telling the clerk why she needed all this and about the dolls, and the clerk just did everything she could to help. After measuring it all out, she put it all back on the cardboard bolt, she got some 'plastic wrap' and encased it all so it would remain dust free between there and our home. So she saved $14 by having my SIL get the coupon, then going to all that extra trouble and 'doing it with a smile.' It really warmed my heart to hear it all. I wanted to share, and hope my reply hear made sense. Three cheers for what the Wal-Marts are doing in the fabric world and more cheers yet for this clerk in JoAnne's (in Yuba City, CA) that went above and beyond her job description to help out my SIL, myself and the future dolls that will be born because of it all. Thanks for reading my little story.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM

I wish they'd get it back at our walmart!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

My WM finally got their fabric dept back and it is coming along quite nicely...more new fabric almost daily. Best of all there are two...yes, two...ladies working in the dept. and they are great! Actually know a thing or two about fabric! I found some super nice striped fabic in two colorways that is lovely...great "hand", current colors. Bought a yard of each. The lady cutting for me said raved about it...said she didn't realize they had it. She'd been too busy stocking to check out what they were getting in! It isn't far to the nearest JoAnn's but traffic is usually awful, plus their I wasn't impressed with their quilting fabric at the prices they charge. WM will definitely see a lot of me now!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:54 AM

I`m told our WM still hasn`t gotten any thing in yet , don`t know, don`t go there any more. I will hear from other Quilters when or if it comes to our WM in Green Bay. We were promised they would carry it and we never saw it.