Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WOW! I still can't believe my luck

love the color of the sewing machine. the thimble is nice too. i'm thinking of trying hand quilting but maybe in about 30 years............lol
    "you can take out your opponent, however, if you do it unjustly, you become eligible for being wiped out yourself" E.H.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
    Wow, that Kenmore is a beauty!
    Thank you. Love at first site for me? Maybe. I'm doubly happy that it fit my cabinet. Altho now where do I put my bread maker?!

Blog Entries
    I've only seen pictures of the beige ones online, looking for information.
    Can you tell I'm new at this sewing-stuff? Thanks to all of you for helping me out.
    I am considering getting the rest of those thimbles while I can. I put some moleskin in it to pad it and it's like night and day. It's so soft and comfortable! And it's heavy and it really pushes that needle in! Just makes it much more pleasant trip thru Quiltville! I don't know what I'm more excited about: the thimble or the machine?!

Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
    That Kenmore you will fall in love with. It takes class 15 bobbins and regular needles. You can get those in any Joann's etc. The Kenmore of that style came in two colors. The lavender is the one everyone who collects this sort of machines wants, the beige is much more common. I had one of the beige ones and sold it to someone here. Her son came to pick it up . She PM'd me not too long ago and told me how much she loved the machine. Good thimbles are getting harder to find so congrats on finding ones that work for you. I had a vintage one that I loved and used constantly for applique and quilting. Put a hole right through it and am searching for another like it. I just bought 4 and none fit right. I can't see spending big $ on one since to me I am not going to live long enough to get that much use out of it. lol And the new ones just don't fit right. Enjoy that machine!!!

Oh, how I love those old girls...they're just so sturdy and all business. Glad you found a great one!
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I like your bobber. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by born2bfree67 View Post
    love the color of the sewing machine. the thimble is nice too. i'm thinking of trying hand quilting but maybe in about 30 years............lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by so-sew View Post
    Oh, how I love those old girls...they're just so sturdy and all business. Glad you found a great one!
    Me too! I love antiques (thus the entire day dedicated to it...) and when I thru out that green kenmore, I was advised not to, that the old Kenmores are really good. I hope this one lives up to the reputation!

Blog Entries
    You got some great items, but I hate to throw cold water on such a hot deal, but if I'm not mistaken, your pewter thimble may have lead in it and you may not want to use it, (lead leaches into your skin) I would hate for you to get sick doing something you love. so if there is a way, try and check if its real pewter, a jewelers maybe? Dee

Blog Entries
    I will look into this. Thank you. I'd never thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
    You got some great items, but I hate to throw cold water on such a hot deal, but if I'm not mistaken, your pewter thimble may have lead in it and you may not want to use it, (lead leaches into your skin) I would hate for you to get sick doing something you love. so if there is a way, try and check if its real pewter, a jewelers maybe? Dee

I think you got bit by a vintage machine bug as well as your sewing and quilting bug... but it sure sounds like you've been having fun!

Blog Entries
    What a nice day for you! I could be your GM and I have not owned 7 machines in my life and I have been sewing since I was about 4!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Very good finds, congrats. I really love the machine she is beautiful.

Congrats on the thimbles! Now, if you need it a bit tighter, get some moleskin at the pharmacy and stick a strip inside around the edge. It will snug it up and it won't rub your finger nail bed either. I have my husband's mother's and she was very heavy. I took a hammer and bent the top into a concave shape and I wear it on my underneath finger and use the edge of the new "dimple" to catch and redirect the needle. I lined it with moleskin and it makes a comfortable thimble.

Sounds like you had fun and found treasures! Good for you.

Blog Entries
    There is a great yahoo group for vintage Kenmores. Lots of good help there! I found one on CL and I looked up the SN there. Forget to write it down so will have to search again. LOL My Kenmore is in a pretty nice cabinet.

You never know what you will find out there that is pre loved!
    pat design

Sometimes it just takes time to find the right machine to be your friend. Hope the purple will be a friend forever. Good Luck. Sue

that is a lot of excitement for just a little amount of time. I haven't gone through that many machines in my whole life!! Sounds like a fun day though.
    Michelle

Wow, sounds like you had a fun day and found a couple of really good bargains to boot. Happy quilting.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

SEW
    I just love finding treasures when I am antiquing. Have fun using your new "toys"!

Talking Many sewing machines

In Kentucky: I hope you have a machine you will just love. But remember these late models
    of machines have nylon or plastic insides. They don't stay put on a table (like the heavy old
    models) and the gears wear out. I have a 10 year old Janome and find it doesn't stay adjusted.
    I have it to the service folks at least 2 times a year. I'd love to have my 50 plus old Sears
    Kenmore machine back. It was great and always stayed in adjustment.

Flo in NNY

Are you sure that's not a Purple People Eater? LOL
    I'm taking it all with me and if St Peter won't let me in, I'm commin' back.

Blog Entries
    With my luck?? It just might be!

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428 View Post
    Are you sure that's not a Purple People Eater? LOL

Speaking of thimbles - I use a leather one with elastic on the sides to fit anyone. I love it. Don't know where I bought it but I have seen them everywhere.

Blog Entries
    I don't use leather. I wish there was a cruelty-free version of one.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    Speaking of thimbles - I use a leather one with elastic on the sides to fit anyone. I love it. Don't know where I bought it but I have seen them everywhere.

Good for you. Enjoy your new toys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast