Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow. Price of Backing. >

Wow. Price of Backing.

Wow. Price of Backing.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Unfortunately we are losing another Quilt Shop here in Maine…the owner is retiring. I will greatly miss the shop as it is my “go to” about 15 minutes from my home. As a result, all of her bolt fabric is 40% off…I guess a good time to purchase backing fabric if you can forecast what you might need.
Just look for something with enough yardage for the size quilts you make, think of the colors you like, Then pick some that would go with your stash! To pick my backing, I wait until the top is done, then go to my backing stash which is kept separate from the rest and pick one. I usually try and pick those sale fabrics in tone on tone or small print in colors I have a fair amount of, like meutral, browns, greys, greens, (have a lot of greens in my stash) and sometimes, a fun larger print novelty print. One of my favorites is I picked up a bunch of brown flannel with cute little penguins all over it wearing bright colored hats, mittens, scarfs, in primary colors. Well, I made a plain old flannel rail face using primary colors, the penguin backing is just so cute on it that I can't stand it. I put orange binding on it. The perfect quilt to brighten up a very cold Minnesota winter. (0h, and I picked up all the normally 11-12 dollar a yard flannel for 5-6 a yard
Old 11-28-2021, 06:49 AM

I bought some precut 3 yard backings from Keepsake Quilting last year. I went to use one for a quilt, and was disappointed to find that after squaring up, I could not use it for the quilt I wanted. It was so out of square that I lost well over 8 inches in width. I find myself using more and more of the Legacy Muslin for backings, while yes it may be plain and boring, it does allow for the quilting to show beautifully and the hand is oh so silky soft.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:06 AM

Boy, I'm glad I make mostly lap quilts. Three and a half to four yards of 42" fabric almost aways works for me. I, too, believe that the backing is an important part of the quilt, and I look very carefully for just the right one. Luckily, I have an SR Harris store a half hour away that sells all of their fabrics for $6-$7 a yard. There are some cheaper fabrics there, but they have many Andover, Marcus Brothers, etc., fabrics too. It's a huge warehouse store with thousands of bolts of quilting cotton and any other fabric you could imagine from canvas and upholstery fabric to the finest silks. I love to go there and just wander the aisles.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Since I make kids quilts for foster kids in my county I don't worry much about the backings. I make scrappy quilts so I am sure to get at least some colors the kid will like. I have been buying backings at Hobby Lobby. They are a bit pricey. I buy 2yards and can get two backings and some left for piecing. I will have to start piecing backings as I pay for everything I use. I make quilts at least 43" x 57" or 58". With inflation being what it is I must use what I have. My aim is for them to be nice looking on one side and to be warm.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

The backing fabric and panels that Jellyrolls, Layer Cakes & Quilt backing by Marylyn look exactly like Marshall's Dry Goods brands. Marshall's is a fabric distributor so many independents sell it.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Since I make kids quilts for foster kids in my county I don't worry much about the backings. I make scrappy quilts so I am sure to get at least some colors the kid will like. I have been buying backings at Hobby Lobby. They are a bit pricey. I buy 2yards and can get two backings and some left for piecing. I will have to start piecing backings as I pay for everything I use. I make quilts at least 43" x 57" or 58". With inflation being what it is I must use what I have. My aim is for them to be nice looking on one side and to be warm.
I think that is great, I am sure the kids like to have their own quilt, some of my first quilts I bought the fabric at Ben Franklin. They have been gone from here a long, long time, I still have one quilt I made of fabric from there and yes, it is faded and worn but still holding together. It must be 35 or so years old, washed many times, and always on a bed. I use it on the dog's twin bed now. Yes, he has is own twin bed and bedroom. Actually he has two dog beds too and his own recliner in the living room. Actually, he has way more beds and chairs then I do. How did that happen!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:52 AM

I would love to shop at all the places you guys have mentioned, but I'm in Canada and the shipping and exchange on the money is horrendous.

Watson
Old 11-28-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I would love to shop at all the places you guys have mentioned, but I'm in Canada and the shipping and exchange on the money is horrendous.

Watson

Have you looked at Maple Leaf Quilting Company? They ship free for orders over $150. It’s $20 flat rate to ON for orders under. They do sales often. They are having a Black Friday sale right now, I believe. I buy from them and am satisfied with the quality. Most of my quilts are for donations soi need to be frugal and I may have a different standard than you do.

might be worth a look.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:56 AM

Yikes! Definitely one of those cases where being in Canada is not an advantage. I know that NZ and AU also pay terrific prices. We all have our trade offs, I guess.

How far into Ontario are you? I'm in the Finger Lakes - about 2 hours to the Niagara Falls bridge. So lucky to have a couple of Mennonite stores nearby. One has a smaller selection, but has Moda and Timeless Treasures wideback for about $12/yard. The other has a larger selection of standard yardage, starting at about $9.50/yd.

I don't worry overly about my backings. Something in the same color family, or theme, works for me. It wasn't that long ago that most quilts were done with muslin backing. I'll also piece backings - more than just a single seam - to make large ones. Gets me a backing and big pieces out of my stash, so it's a win/win!
Old 11-29-2021, 05:52 AM

I understand completely Watson. Like QuiltE said, check out Lens Mill. Especially some of their 'extra' deals like finish the bolt for an extra 15% off or anything with a specific colour (black for Black Friday, orange for Halloween, red for Valentine's Day) for extra percentage off.

And check Connecting Threads online. Over $85 US and the Canadian shipping is free, plus they collect the HST so no nasty duty surprises.

We also lost another LQS--The Quilter's Nook in Sshomberg. Not precisely local for me, but the owner is part of our guild and had to close due to sudden serious health issues.