Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
But I don't understand how this all computes. If the fabric company is raising their price .50/yd to the stores how does that equate to $2-$3 increase/yd to the consumer. I have a friend who works for a fabric company and she verified the cotton situation. It also makes me angry that the stores are raising the prices on all the fabrics - even the ones they have had for a long time. I can see myself spending the next year making UFO's and working with the flannel I bought at JA on Black Friday @ $1.29/yd.
Maybe it depends which store(s) you're talking about? If it's a chain store, then they might be playing games with the prices so that they can issue coupons of greater value. For example, JoAnns has had several 50% off coupons available within the past couple of weeks. Most commonly this year they've had only 40% coupons. So they will mark prices up, to compensate for the value of the coupon.

If it's small independent stores that you are talking about, then it would be common for them to double the wholesale cost to arrive at their retail price: a 50 cent increase on the wholesale level should play out to a $1 increase at retail.

It strikes me as unusual that a shop would mark up "old" fabrics, unless they are from a collection that's running. For instance, everybody knows that Kaufman's Kona cottons have gone up in price. It could be a bit awkward for a store to have some colors at one price and other colors at a different price.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
It strikes me as unusual that a shop would mark up "old" fabrics, unless they are from a collection that's running. For instance, everybody knows that Kaufman's Kona cottons have gone up in price. It could be a bit awkward for a store to have some colors at one price and other colors at a different price.
At my LQS she does double the wholesale price to arrive at the retail price. She does not mark up fabric she already has, even if it is from Kaufman's Kona, and everyone knows that the new stuff just costs her more so she has to sell it for a higher price. So if the colors are close, ya go for the lower priced one!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM

I have not verified the price increase - I am basing that on postings on this site and info my friend, the fabric co. rep. I will be at my LQS on Monday for bunco so will check out their prices then. I did not look at anything at JA when I bought the flannel....I have a tendency to get a little testy at JA because of their store, the staff and their "sale" practices.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rebeljane
Me too. In Australia quilt shops sell fabric for up to $35.00 per metre
At that rate I couldn't afford to quilt. Thank heaven for my stash.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 PM

My SIL and I are planning at least one trip a year to the USA just to buy our fabric. Stocked up on notions in november. We got most of them on great sales 75% off what we pay here in Saskatchewan.