Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow So simple! >

Wow So simple!

Wow So simple!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 AM

Thumbs up Wow So simple!

I was watching a few tutorials on youtube looking for a block because Im being cheap and don't want to buy a pattern or book til I try the block first. She was sewing half square triangles and instead of drawing the line on the fabric she ironed it in half put the sqaures together and went to sewing. I would see this after last night I marked 100 squares for a test block that has 64 pieces in it. Method may not work for every project but for some it would!...had to share! Happy quilting
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM

great idea thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Ive tried this method and I find that I like marking alot better, its easier for me to see and get an accurate seam.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 AM

I've done this too especially for marking my binding angle to sew the two ends together. On half squares, I cut a little bigger anyways and square them after sewing.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Ive tried this method and I find that I like marking alot better, its easier for me to see and get an accurate seam.
i agree with this
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
I've done this too especially for marking my binding angle to sew the two ends together. On half squares, I cut a little bigger anyways and square them after sewing.
Thank you Rachel..I am going to try that and Linda, love your idea of cutting a little larger...I really do learn a lot on this board!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Eleanor Burns also has a way to make several half square triangles that leaves you with eight HST when are finished. I believe this method is on her website. She does Quilt in a Day books.

mltquilt
Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I am finding anything, blocks, triangles etc. look better if larger pieces are made a bit larger and trimmed down.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 AM

I love thangles or triangles on a roll if your making a lot of them. I was leary of them at first but I had 86 triangles for a borders class I'm taking and she suggested triangles on a roll and I love them.
Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
I was watching a few tutorials on youtube looking for a block because Im being cheap and don't want to buy a pattern or book til I try the block first. She was sewing half square triangles and instead of drawing the line on the fabric she ironed it in half put the sqaures together and went to sewing. I would see this after last night I marked 100 squares for a test block that has 64 pieces in it. Method may not work for every project but for some it would!...had to share! Happy quilting
Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
LOL, my only comment---------------I hate ironing. I love scribbling!