Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow!  What an assignment! >

Wow! What an assignment!

Wow! What an assignment!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 AM

these quilts take me back to my Mother and Grand mothers quilting days. It's like looking into a mirro of my past life. OH! such fond /loving memories. thanks for sharing them . they were made to use and enjoy..
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 AM

I agree with Jan.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by Crqltr
I agree..I would bet a quilt museum would love to have these. A shame to tear all the paper out. They should talk to a expert first.
Actually, and sadly, I disagree. Yes, the quilts would have more "value" if left as is. But not as much as we present day quilters would wish. There are many, many quilts like this, and even more in much better condition and style, in museums. In this case, intrinsic value is more important to the current owner and should be honored.

Don't worry about saving the papers, they are likely on microfilm somewhere anyway, if the owner isn't interested. It will be difficult to remove them due to age, so the easiest way is to wet them -- with wet q-tips around the seams or with a very wet towel, blotting as you go and picking up any paper pulp that you can. If you're able to get whole pieces of paper you could just let them dry to the side and use them as others here have suggested.

If you lay the tops out on a surface covered with something white/natural you will also be able to tell at this time if something is going to bleed. [Be sure to wash your backing fabric before using it!!] It looks like you probably won't have much bleeding as most of these fabrics appear to be fabrics from clothing, etc.

I think it's precious she wants to remember the past by having these quilted and used. :-D It's kind of you to offer to help her do so.

Jan in VA
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 AM

I would be afraid to touch them to remove the paper and hand quilt. I would suggest to them to locate a quilt historian and go from there. They may know how to remove the papers without ripping the stitches out of perhaps even tearing the fabric that is old and fragile. My opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
A quilt, even a top, is only as old as the last work done on it, so when you 'finish' them, they will forevermore be dated as 2011 quilts, not 1920-whatever.
I have heard this before but I don't get it. Or agree with it. It will be a 1920's top that was recently quilted. You would have a hard time passing it off as a brand new 2011 quilt.

I used to buy antique tops for resale, if I quilted them, I then described them that way, a 1920's top that has recently been hand quilted.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Originally Posted by Crqltr
I agree..I would bet a quilt museum would love to have these. A shame to tear all the paper out. They should talk to a expert first.
Actually, and sadly, I disagree. Yes, the quilts would have more "value" if left as is. But not as much as we present day quilters would wish. There are many, many quilts like this, and even more in much better condition and style, in museums. In this case, intrinsic value is more important to the current owner and should be honored.

Don't worry about saving the papers, they are likely on microfilm somewhere anyway, if the owner isn't interested. It will be difficult to remove them due to age, so the easiest way is to wet them -- with wet q-tips around the seams or with a very wet towel, blotting as you go and picking up any paper pulp that you can. If you're able to get whole pieces of paper you could just let them dry to the side and use them as others here have suggested.

If you lay the tops out on a surface covered with something white/natural you will also be able to tell at this time if something is going to bleed. [Be sure to wash your backing fabric before using it!!] It looks like you probably won't have much bleeding as most of these fabrics appear to be fabrics from clothing, etc.

I think it's precious she wants to remember the past by having these quilted and used. :-D It's kind of you to offer to help her do so.

Jan in VA
Don't wet that newspaper until you are sure the ink won't bleed. Older newspaper inks rubbed off on your hands when you were reading the paper. froggyintexas
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

You have lots of good advice already. I would do as the owner wants them done and be done with it. She has the only say.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM

Here is what I did for my Mil when they remodeled and we found papers from the 1800's, I removed what I could with a sharp knife and make a collage of them on craft board then framed it. You could do a small collage (5X7) and they could hang it near the quilt.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Wow those quilts are beautiful. It is tough to decide what to do with them. But, I would want to use them too. Of course I wouldn't put them on a young child's bed.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Whatever big pieces of paper you can get off and think are interesting enough to save, you can put between two pieces of clear contact paper. It's not archival and acid free but it is definitely air-free so it will preserve them for a good long time...and you can read both sides of the paper this way too.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

That sounds like a great idea.