Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrapping Pieced Front to Back for Binding? >

Wrapping Pieced Front to Back for Binding?

Wrapping Pieced Front to Back for Binding?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:06 PM

I have made a patched binding too when I made rail fence quilts - a bit of left over fabric, didn't know what to do with it, so that is what I came up with. I stray away from light colored bindings since a couple I have done seem to look dirty after a while.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 PM

These are such great suggestions! I'll spread it all out tomorrow and see what works and is cost effective. So many unfinished quilts and so little time before school requirements start again and I have NO time to sew...
Old 07-19-2015, 10:26 PM

Ave you tried or would it work the birthing method. Not sure of other names. Place right sides of back and front together with wadding/ batting on top. Now machine all round leaving a good gap to pull through to the right side. Then personally I would machine all round close to the edge.not sure how other quilting would work. Although you could tie it.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:16 AM

Personally, I would not like dealing with all the seams in the binding. It sounds like you have a variety of colors in it, so you have many choices. I would audition some colors. I'd go for a solid, marble or tonal fabric. I think a scrappy binding on a scrappy quilt would be too busy unless you had a solid or less busy border.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:37 AM

Check this out, pretty sure this is what Tartan is suggesting thesillyboodillyblogspot.com...y-to-face.html
Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 AM

I have a guild friend that uses black for most of her binding on scrappy quilts Her quilts always look fabulous. It looks like a tiny black frame.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Just remember that the binding gets the most wear and tear in a quilt. Would love to see a photo.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:52 PM

I did do a king quilt from front to back and it came out well BUT it didn't have many seams. I went back and checked it and the seams were definitely not as good as the rest of it. IF you have a lot of seams I'd consider a different method. I have to admit it was so easy to do it this way and got a UFO out of the pile quickly.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:13 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525753[/ATTACH]
The tenth time is a charm!! Left to right, my sister-in-law, Lynn (good enough to be the quilt police but isn't). My mother-in-law, Gerry. And me, the so glad to have help at the homestead quilter. This was the last layered quilt at the Miller homestead. The huge set up made the process a great deal easier than moving couches, chairs and tables!

Miss this place and those amazing days.
Attached Thumbnails edies-quilt-millers.png  
Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 AM
Power Poster

You are getting some good suggestions here. Sorry my mind went blank (happens quite often nowadays LOL)