Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Writing on labels- what am I doing wrong? >

Writing on labels- what am I doing wrong?

Writing on labels- what am I doing wrong?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas. When I'm not on a time crunch, this quilt is going to London, I will try the embroidery and printing and tracing.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:54 PM

I haven't read all the posts and haven't tried the freezer paper but after reading this I will certainly try it. I tape my fabric down to the table top and that helps keep it from moving around.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Are you prewashing your fabric ... without any additives? That means no softener or starch or other 'stuff' such as Best Press.

The prewash is only the first step. Then iron. Yep, I use freezer paper and trim the leading edge before putting it through my printer. I do not use Best print because it will leave some extra ink. Then I iron again after the printing.

If I do by hand I do all but put through the printer. The freezer paper isn't always necessary but can be helpful.

For signature blocks I make a frame out of a manilla file folder and have a baseline drawn darkly on the inside of the folder. That way there is always adequate room for seam allowances.

I made 2 wedding signature quilts. I prewashed and dried the fabric - no softener, ironed - no starch, then ironed on sections of fabric to the width of freezer paper. Then I cut into squares bigger than I needed and made up the manilla folder frame to have people sign the square in the right place.

I used pigma pens and heat set them with an iron.

Good luck.

Nan - Indiana
Old 12-12-2013, 04:56 AM

I use fusible on the back to stabilize. It does take time to find a "good pen". The nib has to be not too wide or not too thin. I usually write normal speed then slowly go over what I have written to let the ink get into the fabric. I fuse the label on and go around the edge like an applique.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 AM

First time I tried to print on fabric I broke my printer
Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM

prewash fabric to remove sizing, iron freezer paper to wrong side of label, use a pigma permanent ink pen and practice what you will write and space allowance before you write on the label itself...works everytime!