Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Writing reviews of  online Craft classes (example...Craftsy) >

Writing reviews of online Craft classes (example...Craftsy)

Writing reviews of online Craft classes (example...Craftsy)

Old 12-09-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Writing reviews of online Craft classes (example...Craftsy)

Have you ever written a review of an online craft class? If you have, what do you base your review on? Do you feel you have to do the project before you write the review?
I base my review: what new skills I have learned from the class and excited to try, were my Questions if any were answered in a reasonable time.
Everybody enters a class with a different backgrounds and expectations.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 AM

My general policy is to only write positive reviews. (The whole "if you can't say something good" philosophy.) If I didn't like a class or a book or whatever, I don't review it. When I do write a review of a Craftsy class, I haven't necessarily done the project. It's just, did I learn something, and would I recommend this to others? I've taken two machine quilting classes from Angela Walters and loved them both. Well worth the money!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:00 AM

I don't understand how you can write a review if you haven't taken the class.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 AM

When I review a class, I always try to give praise. Any evaluation should start with praise and end with praise. Include some constructive criticism if necessary. If students just complain in reviews, it could become harder to get good instructors. All of the classes I have taken so far have been great. I learn a lot from each class. There was one class I took that was a really good class, but much shorter than any of the others I have taken. I did contact Craftsy about it, as I felt that I did not get a good value for the money they charged. If a class is short, then the price should be less. They gave me a free class. I have been very pleased with all the Craftsy classes I have taken.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

I have taken the class, but have not practiced the skills demonstrated, yet but I feel able to review an online craft class. Did I I come away from the class with some new skills to use is something I ask myself when I write a review of a class.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:53 PM

I wrote one negative review for a class where the presenter was horrible. I like to see different points of view from reviews when I purchase something. If a class is bad, someone needs to say something.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM

i was taught when you give a review or want to tall someone something that needs to be corrected that you should use the sandwich method. Start out with positive and end with positive and if an improvement is needed it should put in the middle.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Reviews are something I do often, not just for classes but also on products and things like on etsy , amazon or the like. good or bad. If a product or service is NOT good, I want to know before I pay for it ! While I always end up making my own judgement call most of the time, I like seeing both sides to it in order to do so.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM

I haven't written any reviews yet. But what I like to read about are the lessons the reviewer came away with: new techniques, something explained or demonstrated in a better way, etc. If there is a reason to criticize, be specific because it may be something that would not bother someone else. But I still want to know the reviewers thoughts on it.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

They can only learn from reviews. So if it isn't a good class, they need to know to present it better.
Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I wrote one negative review for a class where the presenter was horrible. I like to see different points of view from reviews when I purchase something. If a class is bad, someone needs to say something.