Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrong color in kit, yet again! Minor vent >

Wrong color in kit, yet again! Minor vent

Wrong color in kit, yet again! Minor vent

Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Lyn

I bought a kit online for my friend's son grad from college. Going to be a game warden. This kit was perfect for him. When it arrived I had been shorted several pieces, the cutting of FQ's were terrible and there were several substitutions that had no rhyme nor reason to go with the quilt. I called them and complained. They said it was a sale item. I asked the owner why she didn't say there were to be substitutions. She said I should know that. I will not buy from any online quilt shop if I do not know their quality. I ended up finding materials that matched at my LQS.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 AM

I strongly suggest that when sending things back
like this, you oh so casually remark that you belong
to an Internet site with (don't remember now) amount
of world wide members who follow suggestions on this
site!!

And WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT FABRICS,
you will tell all how pleased you are with this site!!

Unspoken will be the comment that if it is not replaced,
you'll gripe and grumble to all, giving the name of the
bad place to shop. And with the economy as it is, we will
listen to our friends here.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I know the original fabrics aren't always available, but it really annoys me when they make little or no attempt to match the color values of the original. Oh well, I guess I will be doing some more fabric shopping, lol.
Yes, I've recently done my first BOM's and I've been surprised and disappointed by the quality of the fabrics they've sent me. The colors are wrong, and there isn't any kind of information to guide which fabrics are intended for which pieces. (Mine are applique patterns.) I bought two BOM's from the same shop and found identical fabrics in the two different quilts, which leads me to believe that this is a way for shops to get rid of old and leftover stuff.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by akrogirl
I just received the pattern and kit to do a paper pieced quilt of a jumper (horse and rider). The picture shows a grey horse against a beautiful, dramatic, turquoise batik background - perfect! What do I receive instead? A funky light blue with even paler blue/cream swirls - great for waves in the sea, but not remotely like the sky it is supposed to be, and not a color that works for me at all. The red fabric for the jump poles wasn't included at all.

I know the original fabrics aren't always available, but it really annoys me when they make little or no attempt to match the color values of the original. Oh well, I guess I will be doing some more fabric shopping, lol.
I'd send it back.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM

I think what is worse is when you don't get enough fabric. that happened to me twice from the same quilt shop.It was kits they cut and put together themselves. I finally quit buying their kits.
Sorry that happened to you with the wrong color and all. If you can return it, at least they would know you are unhappy with it, and maybe they will be more careful in the future.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

This is why all together I tend to stay away from kits. If I do buy it I make sure it has the actually fabric shown on the picture. Ofcourse then you might still be dealing with not enough of it. I also have had a bad exprience of people selling a kit with poor not quilting quality fabric. If they will not let you open up the roll/bag but assure you it is quilting quality fabric, do not trust them and don't spend your good money.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

I would call them and get the right fabric, or return it. Good luck and God bless. Penny