Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wrong thread >
  • Wrong thread

• Wrong thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM
    mac

With all those dark and light fabrics, you may need to use medium color to be able to see it on both dark and light. Or at least a brighter color that won't blend into both colors. At it stands now, the dark thread is invisible on your printed blocks. Odd as it seems, I'm thinking maybe a chartreuse green or something in that category.

I think that the variegated thread would also tend to blend into your printed blocks, and not really bring out the full pattern on the lighter color. That is my humble opinion.

By the way, I just LOVE your block and the colors. Your piecing is meticulous! Beautiful job.
    Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 AM

I understand that a highly variegated thread might not “land” where you wanted it to, but I was thinking of a medium color thread, with only slight variances in color, maybe even one that has a slight sheen in keeping with the idea of a spiderweb, which sort of shines in sunlight.
    Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 AM

Default Different colors!o

Originally Posted by mac
    With all those dark and light fabrics, you may need to use medium color to be able to see it on both dark and light. Or at least a brighter color that won't blend into both colors. At it stands now, the dark thread is invisible on your printed blocks. Odd as it seems, I'm thinking maybe a chartreuse green or something in that category.

I think that the variegated thread would also tend to blend into your printed blocks, and not really bring out the full pattern on the lighter color. That is my humble opinion.

By the way, I just LOVE your block and the colors. Your piecing is meticulous! Beautiful job.
    I do think the green would be good. I didn’t see it as a spider design since the darker color dis appeared into the background.
    Old 08-16-2018, 05:00 AM

I agree with you on the thread. I would go lighter and if you can find a suitable variegated, I think that would be ideal.
    Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 AM

It is a gorgeous block another on my bucket list (5 gallon). I like variegated but I too agree it's hard to know where the color changes land; usually my luck the light thread is on the dark and vice versa; not always what I want. Show us the competed project; it's going to be gorgeous.
    Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM

On another note, is that a paper pieced pattern?

Watson
    Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Jane Quilter, I insert a pin straight down through the intersection of both halves, and put a tiny dot of glue on each side of the pin in the seam allowance. For me, it's the best way to match the points.

Watson, it is not paper pieced; the wedges are strip pieced.

Thank you again, everyone, for the comments. I've decided to go with this new thread in the blocks, and probably will use the first one in the border. Both are variegateds, BTW. You probably won't hear from me again for awhile!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599641[/ATTACH]

Daffy
    Attached Thumbnails spiderweb2.botanybay.jpg  
    Old 08-16-2018, 10:01 AM
    mac

The new color shows up much better. I think you will be happy. I can't wait to see the finished project.
    Old 08-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Beautiful. Keep on going. Like your thoughts on different thread but this one is outstanding. I never thought of doing something like this.