Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wurmser pure wool fabric >

Wurmser pure wool fabric

Wurmser pure wool fabric

Old 03-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Default Wurmser pure wool fabric

Soooo I had a little time to kill in the big city this afternoon, and decided to visit a branch of Value Village (equivalent of Goodwill). First stop was sheets and fabric yardage of course. I found 3 baby panels for $3 each which I will block to straighten and enlarge with borders, and then donate to the Guild outreach program.

But my big find was a meter of absolutely beautiful moss green pure wool. It looks to be 60 inches wide and has the words 'Wurmser Pure Laine' printed on the selvedge. I can see no thread weave--it is that closely woven! I did a google search and it seems to be European in origin. The prices I was seeing ranged from Euro 30-35 per meter. I paid a whopping $2.99 Canadian!

The first think I thought of when I saw it, was to felt it for an ironing mat. Could you folks advise me as to the best (and easiest) way of doing that please? I must say that just sitting here and fondling it brings me the same joy as stroking my batiks. Oh dear, I think I may have a problem...
Old 03-01-2019, 05:54 PM

If it's not a washable wool, you can put it in the washer and wash it with hot water and then dry it in a hot dryer which should felt it. I will warn you that your whole house will smell like a wet dog when you do this though. I felted wool many years ago to make garments out of. I usually shrank enormously but came out pretty well.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Good find!! I cut a pure wool sweater and felted it by washing in hot water and drying on hot. Try google to help you!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 AM

About 5 years ago I found about three yards of a vintage moss green (coincidence!) wool flannel at a Salvation Army. I decided to use it for batting in a quilt for one of my cousins. I ended up washing and drying it on hot about five times before it finally quit shrinking (I measured it each time.)

After I was done with the quilt, I used the rest, along with some other wool to make a big board ironing board for quilting. It works great! I also used a wool blanket that a friend gave me to make a pad for the ironing board that I use for clothing (doesn't get used much! ) I used a double thickness for that and made a cover with a pretty floral sheet. It's the best ironing board pad I've ever used!
Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM

What causes wool to felt and shrink is the shock to the fibers from the change in temp from hot water to cold water, along with agitation with soap. When I was felting sweaters, I would wash them in hot water, and then stop the washer, fish out a sweater, wring it out as much as I could, and plunge it into a bucket of ice water. Repeat til water is all luke warm, and you are exhausted, lol. You can also just send it through a number of hot and cold cycles. You pretty much do just the opposite of what you do when you wash a sweater you want to keep wearing forever. Handle roughly, shock with temp changes, harsh soap, dry on high instead of flat. It's kind of fun after many years of babying cashmere sweaters.

Also, you don't have a problem with your petting. I mean, its kind of like a lamb, just flatter. I'm sure that fabric has a beautiful 'hand.' Are you sure you don't want to make a skirt or a pair of pants? They're really nice in cold weather... Edit: Oh, nevermind, as Rosanne Rosannadanna used to say. I saw that it was only a meter. Shrink away with impunity, friend!!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

If the fabric is pettable, hem it and use it for a lap quilt.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If the fabric is pettable, hem it and use it for a lap quilt.
Lol!I'd do that, for sure.