Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yard Sale Find - What to use it for?

Blog Entries
    I would love to use it for batting and fiberfil that take up alot of space, but visible to know how much I have on hand.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whyiquilt View Post
    I have several sets of these for fabric and yarn storage. May I suggest using cable ties to make sure that it stays together. Fabric can weigh alot and I had the set I put into a closet collapse after I had neatly folded and stored all my fabric. I had to pull all the fabric out and put it back together. The cable ties really work!
    Cable ties = great idea! I already had them fall apart bringing them in the house and had to restack them, so knew they came apart easily. I have some pretty little pastel-colored cable ties that will work great! Thanks!

I would have to make little fabric covered boxes to fit in each section, and then store notions and odds and ends in them, maybe patterns. Fabric might weigh to much for this type of storage space.

I like the UFO idea. I have a smaller version of this. I use clean "freezer food" boxes. (i.e. corn dog boxes, pizza boxes, etc.) I wrap the boxes like Christmas presents (minus the ribbon & bow) and then label each one (in pencil so it can be reused) and store them in order of preferred completion. Right now there are 5 UFOs on the rack.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

Blog Entries
    Gotta love yard/garage sales for storage items! You're lucky (or are you) that they still happen November through April by you. They don't start up again till April around here due to old man winter.

It also looks like that can be placed horizontal too - so my suggestion it to put in on top of something like a cabinet or dresser.

post a picture of what you do with it.
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    lots & lots of fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would do books if you dont have a lot books would fit nicely in them

I, also, would use it to store "kits" either your own and purchased one.

The inside just cries for fabric, but I would also get hooks and use the outer surface to hang rulers and other such notions. I have seen this type of display in stores.
    Arlene

Cute rack, especially for the price. I would use it for future projects I am collecting fabric for.
    Easy to see what I have, what I need. Or for projects I am currently working on, easy to keep everything organized.
    Be sure to keep it out of the sunlight, may need to put it in a closet.

Fill it with fatquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieF View Post
    If they were mine I would sort all of my bagged up UFO projects and put them in the wire so when I was in the mood to pull one out....they would just be in my line of sight.
    I also like this idea. I have my UFO's in tote's stored in my sewing closet or under my cutting/ironing table but after awhile I forget which UFO is in which tote. I'd store my UFO's in clear pastic baggies so in a glance I could find what I want. May in Jersey

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I like what you're doing with it- fabric!!!
    Great find!!
    What would life be-without song or dance what are we?- ABBA

I see it FULL to overflowing with fabric!! Great find.

cool thing with those shelves, that if you want you can tear them apart, and make a different layout.....Love those things

I am in Walnut Grove (near Gadsden/Boaz area). My daughter lived in Graceville, Fl and was Concert Mistress for the Dothan Symphony Orchestra several years ago. Nice area.

Quote Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
    Well, you're off to a good start....fabric! I never have enough surface to store stuff. This looks like a fab find. Where in bama are you? I am in Dothan. Linda

I have one of those three high and I found it will not carry much weight, so I store my leftover batting in it. And if I want to do a craft show, the rack is not hard to empty, take apart, and put in my car.

contacts

Isn't it "funny" how people connect. I love it. I live in PA. But my mom lives in Ozark, Ala. which is not far from Dothan!
    Rejoyce

dont put frabric in it i had a system in my closet exactly like that with my stash it and it collapsed !! it took me 3 days to buy shelving and refold everything and put it back it was inside my closet in my sewing room it was sure a mess to clean up but just an fyi fabric is too heavy.
    carla m

Suz
    Lay them on their sides either together or separated. This way, you will multiply the surfaces for storing/stacking. If two boxes are separated and space about 12" apart, you can store in the two boxes and in between plus on top. A third box can be placed over the 12" space for more space. -- Lucky you for your wonderful find!!!

I live in PA also. In Port Royal, right in the center of the state.

All of the wonderful quilt pattern books on the bottom and Project 1 in one area and Project 2 in the other area!

I have sets of these racks that I keep all my fabrics in. Each cube holds a different color and its easy to find what I'm looking for. The good thing about these is you can arrange the cubes any way you want to fit your space. I've had them so full of fabrics it was hard to get them out and I never had them colapse. Just make sure they are firmly pushed into the round holders.
    Last edited by Kathy Osterby; 11-19-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added info
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    I also have a similar one (3x3). It has some fabrics, books on top (had to use a board for the books to set better), also have my UFO's, PIG's, and PHD's setting in the cubbies, That way they are in-sight instead of out of sight out of mind!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    I got one also at a yard sale , I store my material on it.. I had enough for 4 cubes but I made three and used other wire walls to split the other cubicals and gives more support as well.

I have something very similar and use it for UFOs that I've already put into smaller shoebox-size bins.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaWahine View Post
    I like this idea. Great place to store items that are put together already.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast