Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yard Sale Machine-Mistake?

Blog Entries

Yard Sale Machine-Mistake?

Well, I am tired of traveling with my old warhorse of a machine that weighs a ton
    and only sews straight...but purrs like a kitten.. Nikki.
    So, at a yard sale I bought for $20. a Singer Futura 925, well, no attachments,
    and I thought that's okay...then I tried to sew, I can't wind the bobbin in the
    machine and I can't pick up the thread from the bottom. The release lever, pops
    back off every time I try and wind the bobbin..Did I make a mistake, is this
    going to cost me a fortune to fix? Any suggestions?
    Cutting Corners

Power Poster
    I have learned to not rely on the seller's statements - I want to see for myself if a machine works before I take it home!

You can probably guess why this is so!

Most repair places charge about $100 to look at a machine. I don't know what the value of that machine is but I would guess it is not worth fixing.

I don't know anything about this machine, like what is worth in good working order. I do know it will cost me $85 just to take my machine in for a good cleaning and check over. I have bought several good machines at Yard sales but have always tried before I buy. I sit down with it, check bobbin area, winder, all nobs move, cords, are the frayed or look like they were replaced, look every where before I turn it on, than check stiches, dog feed's-up an down, reverse, needle adjustments, everything I can think of that I might use. If the seller says I can't for what ever reason, like no power into yard, I pass on the great buy. In the past I have been stung big time.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about this machine. Is it a newer one? Or vintage? I am thinking joining the following Yahoo! group might be helpful:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/singermachines/
    as it does list Futura as one of the models in its description. Chances are good these are easy fixes once you know what to do, so I wouldn't give up on the machine yet.

Hippie girl

My hippie girl neighbors had a yard sale and there was a pretty good looking Singer..probably 60s or 70s and they were asking $5 for it so I assumed it was a piece of junk. They said it worked perfectly so I figured what the heck and bought it but as soon as I handed them the money they remembered it didn't work...oh well. I took it home and it was not working so I googled the problem and it showed a diagram of screw A and said to loosen it so I did. It also had a bad bobbin. Cleaned it up...works great and I love it! I can use it on my table for larger projects plus it runs faster than my cabinet one. Try Google!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeery View Post
    Well, I am tired of traveling with my old warhorse of a machine that weighs a ton
    and only sews straight...but purrs like a kitten.. Nikki.
    So, at a yard sale I bought for $20. a Singer Futura 925, well, no attachments,
    and I thought that's okay...then I tried to sew, I can't wind the bobbin in the
    machine and I can't pick up the thread from the bottom. The release lever, pops
    back off every time I try and wind the bobbin..Did I make a mistake, is this
    going to cost me a fortune to fix? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: language
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Crappy people are everywhere. Seems I relearn this frequently. Hope you figure it out inexpensively & have a gem!

Blog Entries
    If you don't get any help from Google you could take it to a repair place & get estimate for a check-up & repairs. Most reliable repair places will happily do this for you. If it's not worth fixing then thankfully you are only out $20. 00.
    To me it sounds like someone was pretty harsh with it. Did it come with the user manual that might give you some insight to where to start. Good luck!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I sure hope you can get it fixed. I have bought machines at yard sales and donated them (to a quilt guild or a needly friend, etc.), but I always plugged them in first and tried them out. There are good deals out there because many times what seems "broken" to the seller isn't broken at all, but just needs adjusted (like tension) or the seller simply doesn't know how to use the machine. Good luck to you!

This is why when I have a garage sale later this month I am setting up all 3 machines I am selling and people can use them before they buy and I will be sewing a quilt together on one while the sale is going on.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as honest as we are. Many times on E-Bay, people say it works if the wheel turns. They just don't understand machines. I would try to get an owners manual on line (they are usually not too expensive). Here is one I found on E-Bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-Sewin...7#ht_26wt_1041 Many times you can figure it out from the manual. Also, if you belong to a guild, many times someone's hubby or brother loves to tinker with machines and will do it cheap. Good luck.

Please tell us the end of the story when you do something with it. good luck !

I recently bought a pink Atlas on CL. Cant get it to sew one kind of stitch. Instead it sews straight and then zigzags....forget the decorative stitches. Haven't really had time to mess with it either.
    So many quilts.....so little time!
    http://ginniequilts.blogspot.com//

I am sorry you have this happening to you. BUT did you plug it in before you bought this machine. I bought a yard sale machine and ask to plug it in,$25.00 well worth the money.

Does it have a bobbin with black or white lines on it? I had a Singer Athena purchased from local Singer business, it had a "self winding Bobbin"... I took it back, the Singer man told me those Singers have problems with the Self winding feature. So I steer clear of those now. But it sounds from your description that is like the problem I had with the Athena. Hope your Singer man isn't as expensive as mine was to just look at machines. I don't use him anymore., and depend a lot of this site and the wonderful members for infor, etc.

Power Poster
    After buying three sewing machines on EBay and having all of them to be far worse then the sellers said they were, I refuse to buy anything over 10 dollars without trying it out...Hard lesson learned on my part.

Oh how I wish you were in my territory. Have a fellow who works on the older machines (not the new embroidery ones) for only $25.00 plus parts and many times if he has an old machine with the same part, he doesn't even charge for them since the machine was donated to him. They look like and run like new when he is finished with them and if you have any problem he says bring them back and he will fix it n/c. Needless to say I dearly love him and take all my older machines to him for service etc.

Your location is to far away to even consider shipping, but if any of your Missouri gals are anywhere close to Columbia, Mo., privately e-mail me and I will give you the information about him. He takes the older machines that some people don't want (on a donation basis) and fixes them up for mission work in the lesser developed countries. He is just one great guy.

Hope you get the machine working and at not too great of cost. Let us know the outcome of what you decide to do and how it all comes out.

themachinelady

jdeery,maybe you could google the model and any info to find a manual for it. some problems are easy. such as threading wrong or needing a new needle etc. some manuals are free and some cost.I would try the basics first.Good luck. Your avatar is adorable.Mary
    Mary

I used to have a Futura - different number, but probably similar. It was very persnickety about which way the thread reels off the spool. If I remember right, it had to go over the top from front to back and then under. If that doesn't work, try the other way, but it's the one thing I can think of that could account for both the bobbin loading and sewing problem. Good luck!
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

The things you describe don't sound too serious to me! The machine not picking up the bobbin thread could be as simple as having the wrong needle or bobbin..(you don't know what previous owner did?)...if the needle is too short for the machine it will never pick up the bobbin thread. I would start with that. Get the manual and make sure you have correct needle and bobbin, and that everything is lint free, clean, and above all threaded properly.
    If that doesn't fix it, it may be timing....which is quite easy to do on those machines if you or someone you know know has basic machine sense.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the bobbin winder just yet..get it to pick up bobbin thread and see how it sews, then you can take it from there.
    Don't panic, just take this step by step and you will most likely get it running. Good Luck! Donna

Too bad you don't live closer, I have an old Singer you could have. I am trying to wean out some of the older stuff in my Sewing room before I move it to the shop. Its a great old, all metal machine, and I still use it now and then, but it is also very heavy to move around

I got caught like that a time or two and my hubby - more than that! Live and learn.

Might want to post this under the Vintage machine section. Many very experienced "mechanics" there. Good luck. I hope it's not too hard to fix.
    jean

Blog Entries
    The "old" machines are wonderful if you get them going.lol . Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast