Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage instead of Fat quarters >

Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Old 06-13-2014, 03:18 PM

I see the pattern, it looks like a nice easy one to put together.

I sketched it out in EQ real quick, to get a feel for it, and I think it looks OK with 4 colors, but I think it's more interesting with 8. I didn't mock up 16 but the pattern examples serve for that!

Let's see if this helps you visualize it too:

4 colors:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479016[/ATTACH]

8 colors: (just pretend these colors actually go together, I didn't spend a lot of time on the colors, LOL)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479017[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 4colors.jpg   8colors.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 AM

Help!! I still can not see the pattern and now I am really courious as to what it looks like. Actual link please!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Help!! I still can not see the pattern and now I am really courious as to what it looks like. Actual link please!!!
I just Googled "Four by Four by J. Michelle Watts" and this is the site that I looked at:

http://jmichellewatts.danemcoweb.com...-downloadable/
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 AM

Looking at the pattern this could be totally scrappy or controlled, coordinated color/pattern........and look good......not to agonize over.....just have fun and see what happens..this could be a great stash buster
Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 AM

I agree with Treaureit 100% with what she has to say.

I have a large stash, so I always go there first and pull what I can. If I need more fabric then I go shopping. I take the fabric I already pulled from my stash with me so I make sure everything goes together.

I also only cut what I need from my yardage.

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I rarely buy fat quarters, but when you need 16 of them for one project...it might be cheaper than buying 1 yard of more fabrics. Can you use your fabric for as many as you can and then just buy some fats to fill in?

Also - if I am using my own fabric I just cut what I need from the end of the fabric and not make fats out of it. Many times they just want a piece or two cut from each fabric...not even using the whole FQ.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J. View Post
Several patterns I am interested in sewing, indicate using fat quarters. I would like to use some of my stash which is mostly l yard or more pieces. I am concerned that the design would be affected. I am so confused and do not know how to adjust the pattern. One pattern suggests 16 FQ which would mean I would have to purchase more fabric. Help me decide what to do. Thank you in advance.
Just audition your fabrics and use them as the fq's. Get creative and have fun with the patterns. It really isn't life or death. If you hate it when finished you can donate it to a good cause, or you can look at your creativeness and say "I did this".
Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Thanks for posting your pattern - i LOVE J.Michelle's patterns btw. I'd say use the fabrics you have, add a random sprinkle of a few others from your stash. I don't know what your primary colors in your existing fabrics are - I'd throw in some black, gray and/or white and another contrasting color or 2. Absolute worst case if you really don't like it when you're done ~ it will be an awesome charity quilt to a senior, hospital, fire dept, or other organization. Please show us what you come up with!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Do you ever find that fat quarters are sometimes really thin material. When I buy the ones from JoAnn's and they are all folded up on the cardboard sometimes they aren't really worth the money even at $.99. I usually do what the others do and just buy yardage of what I like and cut from that. Makes more sense to me and not as much waste.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM

Sewnoma;- thanks for the link. I think that you should use more than 4 fabrics to make the quilt pop. Remenber that all fabrics do not have to be "coordinating" Try many different colors/patterns from your stash. Try to think outside the box for colors/patterns. Or you can buy 4-8 fat quaters to add to the fabric you already have.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 PM

sewnoma. Thank you for putting those sketches from your EQ

It really helped me to see the pattern in four and eight colors. Marcy j.