Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow brick road flimsy done >

Yellow brick road flimsy done

Yellow brick road flimsy done

Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

I like the color of the border, but maybe it might look better if you had a tone on tone that read as a solid, but still gave the quilt some dimension. Great quilt.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM

The green in your quilt would make a perfect border, but not too wide. Love the quilt.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

I am not a fan of the border either. It's just my opinion though.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by IngeMK View Post
Is made this as a retirement gift for my coworker, he put up with me for 8 years, and a quilt is all he has to show for
I chose the border for it first, and now I am considering taking it off. what do you think? Something just does not jive here ,
I like it fine. Maybe if the skinny border were dark brown that would show it off. PS I know almost nothing about quilting and less about matching colors or doing anything with colors LOL, but that's how I see it. I'd be delighted to have it whatever border you choose.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM

What if you left the print as a 2nd border a bit larger than the burnt orange & tried 1 of the "solid" fabrics as a 3rd border the width of #1 & 2? Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Can you put some thing more masculine in the borders? hammer and nail print, etc?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'm not wild about it either. It may have been OK for a narrow stop border, but I like the burnt orange you've used. If you have enough of the print in the lower right corner, I'd audition that, otherwise, I would go with a mottled brown.
I really love the rest of the quilt. Very manly. Well worth 'putting up with you' for 8 years!
This is what I thought when I first saw it. I like the medium size print and color. Good luck with whatever you decide and be sure to post it when you finish.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM

I do like the border as shown; the color and the scale of the print agree with the fabrics of the body of the quilt. If you'd like a bit more dramatic look you could trim this border by about half, more or less, and add a wider border of the dark green. I would not like the dark green instead of the print, however, as it would be nearly up against too many of the green blocks near the edge. I'm looking forward to seeing your final choices.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:30 PM

I agree with you. The border almost makes it seem girly. I'd prefer some solid colors in multiple borders.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I really like it! I would bind it with that reddish solid in the quilt, and be good to go!
I really couldn't make up my mind and kept going back to look at the picture. After reading all the input, I find your idea/suggestion is the best all around; no tear out/redo and the red would work to pop out the shades in the border print that do match the tone in the blocks. I would quilt the border in 'piano keys' to break the floral and connect geometrically with the main portion. No, it may not be what you imagined but that does not mean it does not work! Quilts, like life, do not always turn out as planned and end up -----
better!