Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow Brick Road help >

Yellow Brick Road help

Yellow Brick Road help

Old 01-16-2012, 04:44 AM

After a little food in the stomach and time for the brain to start working, I took another look at your choices. I am kind of liking the idea of using the print fabric for the boarder of the quilt. The center of the quilt use some of the pink fabrics from above and the red but for a twist, put in the lime green and/or the yellow. This would add so much to the finished top. The other thing is that when doing this, you will need to add a small second boarder between the center and the outer boarder. If I remember the pattern correctly, it does not call for this little boarder but it will keep it from looking to busy. Here is a link to one that I did this fall, hopefully you will get the idea I am trying to get at. http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...36-282334.html

With this one, I pulled all the colors from the boarder. There was just a hint of the green in the leaves put I put more into the center. In person the boarder fabric was mainly purple with some blue, it is more vibrant in person. The green just added that little punch that was needed. I also used the inner boarder fabric for the binding, which just finished it off.

Hope you have fun with what ever you decide to do and can not wait to see the finished quilt.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 AM

I have made two big Yellow Brick Roads and I used all scraps. I like what you have there. I just think the pinks are too much alike. I would take out one pink and add another red pink.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Don't know for sure but your red looks like it has a lot of black, JMHO I wouldn't use it.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 AM

I like the red, pops it a bit. I don't like the lightest pink though. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose here though.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
re: lime.... great idea, but remember, all colors are not equal... the tiniest flange border would probably be enough green but it would really add to the overall look of the quilt.
It needs the green. Otherwise the green in the focus fabric is ungrounded. She's pulled the pink and the red out and needs to pull the green out too.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 AM

MoanaWahine made a good point about your "focus" fabric. I don't think I would use it in the squares themselves as it will cut up into totally different looking colours with the design it has in it. A perfect finishing border though for the other colours.