Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow Brick Road Quilt >

Yellow Brick Road Quilt

Yellow Brick Road Quilt

Old 03-19-2020, 11:54 AM

Default Yellow Brick Road Quilt

I would like to hand quilt a Yellow Brick Road quilt since I am going to have of time to do what I want. Any suggestions on how to quilt it would be appreciated. Thank you, CaroleLee

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-19-2020 at 01:51 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM

Is there a theme to the fabrics? You might get an idea there. I think for a general scrappy quilt a vertical zig zag would be fun. You could change direction every 9” to correspond with the blocks.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:49 PM

I would suggest looking at Sashido patterns. Love them.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:27 AM

Baptist fans are classic for a reason.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:39 AM

I made something similar for a baby blanket in the form of a maze. I had a mouse at the top and the cheese at the bottom. My grandson loved it.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:54 PM

I love diagonal point to point quilting - but I'm still learning the craft so I'm a big fan of simple and fast.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:23 AM

I agree with Wesing that if there is a theme to your fabrics then you could find a quilting pattern to go along with that. For instance, Christmas you could quilt trees or packages, Halloween could have quilting of ghosts, words like Boo and so on. I had made a baby quilt for my granddaughter and my long arm quilter quilted it with words like "Hugs and Kisses" across the quilt. I also like quilting running diagonal across the quilt. Good luck in whatever you decide and I am sure it will be very pretty.
I have 2 of the same pattern "yellow brick road" and still have not figured out how to put the pieces together. I have wanted to make this for a long time and get really frustrated when I start trying to figure out how the pieces go together. Did you have any trouble figuring out the pattern?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I agree with Wesing that if there is a theme to your fabrics then you could find a quilting pattern to go along with that. For instance, Christmas you could quilt trees or packages, Halloween could have quilting of ghosts, words like Boo and so on. I had made a baby quilt for my granddaughter and my long arm quilter quilted it with words like "Hugs and Kisses" across the quilt. I also like quilting running diagonal across the quilt. Good luck in whatever you decide and I am sure it will be very pretty.
I have 2 of the same pattern "yellow brick road" and still have not figured out how to put the pieces together. I have wanted to make this for a long time and get really frustrated when I start trying to figure out how the pieces go together. Did you have any trouble figuring out the pattern?
Hi Jordan -

My wife and I have made several YBR quilts and my main error was in making the first cut (had the fabric oriented the wrong way). What step are you on that is causing you trouble?

CaroleLee -

Have you decided on a quilting pattern?