Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yellow brick road >

yellow brick road

yellow brick road

Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 AM

Yes alot of People like this I burned the pattern along with the Turning Twenty Four x Four.
It's just tooo...........I don't even have words to describe how it made me feel. Sorry, I've seen beautiful quilts out of these patterns but they are not my cup of tea.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 AM

It doesn't look like any set pattern to me, looks like they are turned every which way.And why they call it yellow brick road is a mystery to me, hardly anyone makes it yellow and I see sign of a road. LOL :-D :-D
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 AM

I decided to do my own thing and I am not following those goofy instructions. I don't get the name of this quilt either but I know it is my first and last one. I hate it with a passion. I so appreciate all of you who replied to my original message. You are a great bunch!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM

If you look at the full pattern on the "Finishing Page", of your pattern - some of your blocks will have three diff. fabrics, some of your blocks will have 4 diff. fabrics, and then some of the blocks will have 5 diff. fabrics,

I made a copy of that pattern for myself to color up as I completed putting the quilt together, and started in the bottom left corner, saw the corner block had 3 fabrics,
then 2nd Block had 4 fabrics,
3rd block in that row has 4 fabrics as well,
and 4th block has 5 fabrics

- I placed them just as seen in the pattern, and crossed off/colored - each as I completed stitching them together.

I never did figure out if there was to be some designation for "a Road", but mine worked out but only by completing it as I outlined above.

This pattern makes a very large quilt!!
I hope this may help you out. Have a great day!!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks much!! I have the pattern sitting in my sewing room unused because I try to read a pattern through before starting a quilt and I could not make heads or tails out of the asssembly. I have a friend who loves the pattern and makes beautiful quilts using it, she tried to explain it to me and got mixed up.

At least I am not alone thinking this is more complicated than it looks.

Thanks much!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM

I made a Yellow Brick Road quilt for my niece and really enjoyed it - playing with colour combinations in the blocks and in the layout. Didn't notice any problems in the directions, either. The randomness and fun made me think that it was a lot like a trip to the Wizard of Oz... just my interpretation, though!

Have fun doing it and just let the colours melt into each other!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by grammyj
It doesn't look like any set pattern to me, looks like they are turned every which way.And why they call it yellow brick road is a mystery to me, hardly anyone makes it yellow and I see sign of a road. LOL :-D :-D
I was basing my description on a very light colored quilt in a picture. I realized later that I was missing some of the arrangements when I saw another quilt made from fabrics with ore contrast.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Dina I love your mix of blue and purples - fabulous colors together. Stunningly beautiful quilt. Great Job.
Thanks, I was very pleased with my final result. I am one of those who can't picture the finished product ahead, and every quilt is a surprise to me.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Hi Sue,
Believe it or not, this was my very first quilt project at our LQS and it drove me nuts also, it ended up ok, but never again, and because of this quilt I became the "problem child" to my quilting teacher...just don't give up.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 PM

I have the Yellow Brick Road Pattern and I've never been able to figure it out...LOL