Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes...another quilting magazine question. >

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:55 PM

I agree with others, buy it on the newsstand and see how you like it. I wish I could get quilt magazines on CD or be able to download it in PDF form and print what I want. I have a ton of magazines that I have subscribed to in the past that I just can't part with.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM

why don't you see if your local library has a subscription to some quilting magazines and see which ones you like, or go to wally world and look through the magazines there and see if there are projects you like. You may find you like something different. I find that this QB has more than enough inspiration for me, I have several "want to do's" so THIS QB is like my own magazine, everyday!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Have subscribed for years and love it.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
I love the mag, but you could buy a copy locally and decide for yourself. I subscribe based not on how many patterns I think I'll be able to use but more as inspiration for my own quilting.
DITTO!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
I received the offer in the mail from BH&G for American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. 2 years and pay for 1 plus the free gift of 101 Expert Tips booklet. I've done a search here and found a LOT of posts saying they love this magazine.

I decided to go out on the web and check out Amazon's reviews since I DO order stuff from a lot of stuff from them.

7 reviews and 4 people gave it 5 stars, 1 person gave it 4 stars and then 1 gave it 2 and another gave it 1. I was more interested in the 2 low ratings. The person who gave it 1 star said something like just because your grandmother quilted doesn't make you an expert...refering to the editor. She said the editor needs more experience. Then the person that gave it 2 stars said...the projects seemed to be designed more for the high end sewing machines, too much applique' projects, ads
and modern looking patterns. Her review also stated too many beginner projects or seriously complex or way too contemporary. She then commented about an article from a textile designer that wasn't about quilting etc. and said..."BLEH".

All of that above to say that I am looking at all of the papers that came yesterday and I see several things I like just in those.

So...for those who DO have a subscription to this magazine...who do I believe? LOL
I finally let all my quilt and sewing mags run out. You can only do so many patterns and save so many to do. Also, I can find most everything I want to know on the internet and saving doesn't take up as much space as notebooks etc.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 AM

I've decided against ordering the magazine at this point. I had planned to go to Joann's yesterday but couldn't so I am going on Monday and will check out the quilting magazines, while there. If I see something that I MUST have I'll buy it off the stand.

I just got a free quilting book through crafterschoice.com. I ordered a Christmas gift for our daughter...book on cake decorating since she works in Food Service and wanted to take a cake decorating class. The man who taught the class had his own store where you could special order cakes. He also taught a class at our local Kitchen Shoppe. He passed away recently so there went classes. Anyway.....

They were offering a buy any book get any other book FREE. Free is great so I ordered for my FREE book a brand new release from M'Liss Rae Hawley...it's her Precut Quilts. The books arrived on Tuesday and already I am in love with several quilts and a different bag pattern.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 AM

I often check quilting magazines out at my local library. Check it out and see if you like it before you subccribe to it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 AM

So many of you have mentioned our local library. We live in a VERY small town so of course our library is VERY small too. I've been in it once to deliver something and didn't have time to look around. Some day when I have nothing else to do...LOL...I just might check it out.

Thanks for ALL of the replies.