Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yo yo assembling

Yo yo assembling

I made hundreds of yo yos to keep busy while sitting around. Any easy ideas for sewing them all together?
    Thank you so much!
    Dotty in NYC

I have never done yoyos....but after looking at these https://www.google.com/search?q=what...=0CDwQsAQ....i might give it a try

I stitched mine top, bottom, left and right. Be sure to use a good knot!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

anyone try stringing them them in rows & stitching on between yo yos w machine?
    Dotty in NYC

You could certainly tack them by machine

Thank you. I'll let you know what I work out.
    Dotty in NYC

Blog Entries
    Great ideas, thanks

Didn't care much about yo yo's until: http://indulgy.com/post/TG1cI7R8S1/yo-yo-quilt

Do you want to sew them to a background? Machine would work great, if you just want to stitch them together one by one, I have been trying to figure this out too.lol You would have to sew the edges overlapped I don't know how that would work. I can't try it yet as I have too many projects right now. Let us see a pic of what you do. Good luck. sewbeadit
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I would just attach them together securely on all four sides. Interesting ideas posted.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'd make yo yo clown dolls. My mom made me one when I was small and I LOVED that thing!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-004
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-22-2015 at 05:25 AM.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mine will some year be tacked to strips of fabric then those strips sewn together alternately with plain fabric, for a bed quilt.....saw the pattern on cover of a mag afew yrs ago and began the saga! I do like working with the clover yoyo maker...much easier to get the right fullness and seam turn under with it......jmho

I saw something on Pinterest I think, where they crocheted around them, and then connected them with crochet. It was beautiful!

I have tons of them too! I have machine stitched them together using zigzag stitch and just tacking at top, bottom, left, and right sides. Like this, I use them as table toppers, have a long one on my TV stand, works well to disguise the dust! LOL! Also used as decorative on a tote bag, in fact, just last night, I had finished a tote bag, didn't have the snap on, should have been done before finishing the bag, but I just put it anyway, then hand sewed a yo-yo on each side to cover the snap! Not gonna post pic because quilt police would chew me up and spit me out! You can press them down, then machine stitch onto a background fabric like some of the quilts shown on some of the above links, I have a whole bag of red/pink, different shades, want to make one all red and white background.......someday!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

thank you, thank you!
    Dotty in NYC

I stitched mine together with invisible thread for a tablerunner, Used a aiz-zag stitch..I dislike handswing. (lol)

I have never made a yo-yo quilt before. After looking at some I have got to try it. Thanks for the inspiration guys!

My mother made a couple king-sized, a queen-sized and several twin-sized yo-yo quilts. She just placed the yo-yos back to back and whip stitched them together in rows then connected the rows in the same way. None of the "quilts" were backed with another fabric so technically I guess they were more a coverlet than a quilt.

dd
    I made yo-yos from Christmas fabric and sewed them together in strings as a garland for the tree. I like the yo-yo animals. I had a clown when I was little. Hated that thing. Never did like clowns. The animals I would have liked though.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

shy
    I saw a pattern for a cool yo yo quilt..they put one bigger one in the center then smaller ones around it..on top of a square piece of material..say 8x8...then join the blocks..it was really a interesting quilt..

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
    I made hundreds of yo yos to keep busy while sitting around. Any easy ideas for sewing them all together?
    Thank you so much!
    I made TWO of these for my twin GD. Amy butlers bloom quilt. 300 flowers each. I tried every way to Sunday to sew them on the the machine. No luck. I had to sew them by hand. The quilts were too bulky to fit easily and machine sewing was more exhausting than it was worth. I pinned them all in place with large safety pins and then Sewed them on while I watched TV. http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Bloom_Quilt.pdf

I used yo-yo for flower centers. I appliqued flowers, then tied the yo yo center with twine tied in a bow. Name:  100_0571.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  370.6 KBName:  100_0572.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  420.1 KB
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    I made a big throw out of them. sewed them all together and backed them with black corduroy. came out beautiful.
    I have one that's about 60 yrs old my grandma made and she backed hers with aqua cord. I've made smaller ones and backed them with a quilt. I took two pcs of fabric with batting and stitched them thru. does that make sense to you? I've also did them in themes, and made hot plates our of them. show us what you do.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    if you make your back first or use prequilted, you can tack them in the center with the bar tack. or tack with bar tack on the edges. I know you. You'll make something beautiful. can't wait to see it. you've been working on them forever. how many do you have now?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast