Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine >

Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine

Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine

Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Yoko Saito Mystery Quilt in Quiltmania Magazine

Has anyone done or is anyone doing this quilt? I am very seriously considering doing it now that QM has released it as a pattern pack. One shop that is offering it as a BOM has stated that it is for advanced quilters. I know that there is a fair amount of reverse applique involved (which I have never done). Actually, I have never done any needleturn applique at all.

I ordered a kit from MSQC for Cedar Creek so that I could follow along with the video tutorials and try to learn applique this way. The Mystery Quilt, though, is a little bit more to what I would like as a long term project. I just wanted to hear what those that have done it think about the quality of the instructions, experience level/skills needed, etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM

I would like to order this kit too. I've done needle turn applique but never reverse applique. It looks challenging.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Hi Sue, welcome to the Board! I am thinking about ordering the BOM from Primitive Gatherings. It definitely looks like it will be a challenge. I've watched the videos (even though they are in French) several times. Of course, Beatrice makes it look easy but I think I could manage it if I just take it one step at a time.

One of the things that makes me a little nervous is that although a few bloggers have posted about the Mystery Quilt, showing pictures and stuff, no one really discusses it much. I sent an email to one of the bloggers that has had a few posts on it but she has not responded to me yet.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Hi: Just watched several of the videos. The reverse applique doesn't look too difficult now that I saw how she does it. Been thinking of ordering the pattern only and using/buying the fabrics separately. I like the fabrics the pattern designer used but may not be the ones that Primitive Gatherings would send. The pattern costs 23 Euros which I think is about $30. I can't seem to find a picture of the completed quilt on line. Do you know where that might be? YouTube is a great source of videos. Wish they were in English.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Try this link .http://shop.quilt.co.jp/en/default.a...event_code=414. It is her site in English and some of the patterns and books also in English. Hope it works.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Oh dear! I googled and fell in love!

I'll wait until the New Year and then buy the set of patterns for 18 Euros at

http://www.quiltmania.com/product/A/GB/1463/y-saito%E2%80%99s-pattern-envelope.html

I did find four bloggers who are making the quilt and hope to read about their journeys after Christmas.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
Oh dear! I googled and fell in love!
I did find four bloggers who are making the quilt and hope to read about their journeys after Christmas.
It is such a beautiful quilt! I haven't seen the completed quilt anywhere online yet. I'm hoping one will pop up soon. I looked at the pattern when it first came out in Quilt Mania and I loved it then but I was just too afraid to commit. Now, though, especially after what the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Company it seems a little bit closer to being doable.

Do you mind listing the blogs that you found? I'm wondering if they are the same ones that I looked at.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SueLevin View Post
Hi: Just watched several of the videos. The reverse applique doesn't look too difficult now that I saw how she does it. Been thinking of ordering the pattern only and using/buying the fabrics separately. I like the fabrics the pattern designer used but may not be the ones that Primitive Gatherings would send. The pattern costs 23 Euros which I think is about $30. I can't seem to find a picture of the completed quilt on line. Do you know where that might be? YouTube is a great source of videos. Wish they were in English.
I agree that after watching the videos it seems a little less daunting. I have one question about the reverse applique, though. Can one cut the shape of the windows and doors before the house if appliqued down? Just basting those areas down? I don't know if that makes sense or not. I have not been able to find a picture of the completed quilt yet. I'm hoping that one will come up soon.

Regarding the Primitive Gatherings fabric selection: I sent them an email and asked if they would be using exclusivelyl Japanese fabrics and the response was yes. However, I neglected to ask them if they would be using a mix or wovens and yarn dyes. They do have a Japanese fabric club of the month so I think they might have a good mix but I'm not sure if it would be entirely Taupes the way the original is. I know that the original is done with Yoko Saito's Taupe line.

I suppose I could send them another email or maybe call and ask about whether or not they will be using Taupe wovens and yarn dyes as well as non Taupe fabrics. I am curious to know what accents they are planning to make from wool. I have a fair collection of Daiwabo Taupe fabrics and a slowly growing wool stash so I might be able to just purchase the pattern and save a little bit of money. But I like the idea of having the backgrounds pre-picked out as I have a little trouble with that sometimes.

Thankfully, it begins in March so that is a little bit of time to think about which way to go. I wonder how popular this program is going to be for them.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
It is such a beautiful quilt! I haven't seen the completed quilt anywhere online yet. I'm hoping one will pop up soon. I looked at the pattern when it first came out in Quilt Mania and I loved it then but I was just too afraid to commit. Now, though, especially after what the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt Company it seems a little bit closer to being doable.

Do you mind listing the blogs that you found? I'm wondering if they are the same ones that I looked at.
This one has a single post about Yoko Saito's Mystery Quilt but some nice photos:

Busy Bee Free

[SIZE=4]http://www.curiousneedle.com/search/label/Mystery%20Quilt]The Curious Needle has a couple of posts with nice photos.

Ummm ... this one [
url=http://dorothysthreadsoflife.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html]Dorothy's Threads of Life[/url] looks to be search only (no tags or links to the mystery quilt on the side) so I haven't had time to see if there are older or newer posts.

Another start on the quilt
http://davidscottagedownthehill.blogspot.com/2012/04/starting-new-projects.html] David's Cottage Down the Hill[/URL] ... I have the feeling that the amount of work in Yoko's mystery quilt becomes discouraging ...

Please stay "in touch" and post if you find a finished quilt or any other blogs. I'm adding this thread to my favorites so I'll be able to find it again.

I see you live on Long Island. Our DD & family live in NJ. I hope you weathered Sandy without damage.

Ackkk! I see I need a lesson on creating live links on this board

Last edited by HouseDragon; 12-25-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:02 PM

Wow! Beautiful things on those sites! thanks for posting...