Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks? >

Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks?

Are you a "particular" buyer, when it comes to batiks?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM

I prefer the original batiks that are completely random. When I see the same flower every 12" or 15", I known it is printed on a standard machine. I love the true batiks I can usually find at a Thai department store. The materials are usually a little heavier, too.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM

I won't buy the newer ones that look more like tie dye, rather than batiks. And I won't buy Connecting Thread batiks again-too thin. So, I guess I'd say I'm choosey. My favorite lines are probably Hoffman and Island Batiks.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 AM

I totally understand your choosiness -- I am a buyer of western apparel for a local western store and I am very picky about the fabrics and some of the sales personel just look at me when I express a concern about a particular fabric. I just stick to my guns and my gut !

How fun your job must be too !
Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I am a Hoffman girl. Quality, feel, colors, patterns. I like everything about them and seldom buy any others. I have never had any problems with Hoffman batiks fading or bleeding from washing either.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 AM

There are not enough lighter, blender colors on the market to go with the more vibrant batiks.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by fayzer
There are not enough lighter, blender colors on the market to go with the more vibrant batiks.
There actually are a lot of lighter shades available. At least, I'm finding LOTS of them on the manufacturers' sites. Perhaps shops are just not choosing to stock them?

Hoffman does make a plain undyed white; it's the same cloth that they use for their batiks, just... without any color at all.

Beyond that... there are lots of pale pastels, greys, beiges; basically watercolors. And a few small scale chops that I've seen.

Were you thinking of "chops" or watercolors? I probably should have asked that first before commenting!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
There actually are a lot of lighter shades available. At least, I'm finding LOTS of them on the manufacturers' sites. Perhaps shops are just not choosing to stock them?
Bingo!
Just like people don't like to buy them and pass over them when seen in a shop....hardly the same rush as a fabulously colored mottle, but just a little bit can make a quilt sparkle.

They should do some layer cakes or Bali Pops in just light batiks - but it would never sell because it wouldn't be visually appealing in the packaging.
Same for the really dark-darks - I always grab them (batiks or regular) when I see them because they, too, are hard to come across.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 AM

I am particular in the sense that I like quality fabric. I like Island Batiks and Hoffman especially, and in the jewel tones, blues greens purples. I absolutely love batiks though so I like a wide range of patterns, but I can't stand flimsy fabric!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm
I am particular in the sense that I like quality fabric. I like Island Batiks and Hoffman especially, and in the jewel tones, blues greens purples. I absolutely love batiks though so I like a wide range of patterns, but I can't stand flimsy fabric!!
Gotta agree with this statement, I recently bought some batik fq's from Walmart and 1/2 are much flimsier than the batik's I'd used previously (Hoffman, Kaufman). I'm going to make sure I get the better quality ones in the future.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Bingo!
Just like people don't like to buy them and pass over them when seen in a shop....hardly the same rush as a fabulously colored mottle, but just a little bit can make a quilt sparkle.

They should do some layer cakes or Bali Pops in just light batiks - but it would never sell because it wouldn't be visually appealing in the packaging.
Same for the really dark-darks - I always grab them (batiks or regular) when I see them because they, too, are hard to come across.
Well, gee. We could easily put together a FQ bundle of just lights... what do you think, would this work? Perhaps a bundle of ten, so that the price doesn't get too high?

Do you think there would be a market for it?