Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a fussy cutter?? >

Are you a fussy cutter??

Are you a fussy cutter??

Old 07-12-2012, 04:20 AM

Jenny Beyer is one of many selling patterns for fussy cut blocks. She uses border patterns to make blocks that look simply intricate beyond words but are only fussy cut and straight stitched. Border printed fabric almost demands to be fussy cut in my experience.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I have done I-spy quilts for kids, and there's no other way. I've also done one miniature quilt that was fussy cut. The fabrics were from a bundle of scraps from a thrift store, and I really couldn't think of any other possible use for them, anyway. I found the foundation pieced frog pattern on the Internet: http://www.winnowing.com/frog.html

I agree that it seems wasteful to fussy cut, but prefer to look upon the value of the fabric not in terms of every square inch, but as being a resource that costs a certain amount for what I want to do. If it seems worth it at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate. The difference between having lopped off parts of images all over a quilt or having exactly the centered, complete item, might be what makes the quilt worth doing or the fabric worth buying in the first place.
adorable..you have a gift for designing..
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Jenny Beyer is one of many selling patterns for fussy cut blocks. She uses border patterns to make blocks that look simply intricate beyond words but are only fussy cut and straight stitched. Border printed fabric almost demands to be fussy cut in my experience.
Jinny Beyer makes some beautiful quilts.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 AM

I used an old sheet that had large flowers on it and fussy cut the flowers, then bordered them, and put them "on point. I alternated the fussy cut blocks with embroidered (done on an embroidery machine) ones. It came out really pretty.