Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >
  • Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

• Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Kate
    I live in a large Canadian city with many LQS's, but with prices starting at $15 a metre, I shop online a lot, or at Fabricland which has great sales.
    I totally agree...I live about 50 miles south of Ottawa. In a 1hr drive time diameter, I have probably 18-23 quilt shops. But as Canada Kate said "the fabric starts at $15.00/metre." Yes you can get some fabric for around 11.99/metre but it is usually outdated or ugly. I have been using primarily my stash for the past few years, and yes I have been cranking out fast and furiously, but, the last time I bought fabric, it was online. Both my husband and I are retired(him by age and me by health) so living on one fixed income makes a big difference of where I can buy fabric and if I can get a bigger bang for my buck...then yes I will shop online.
    Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 AM

I do shop local quilt shops and pay full retail. I also buy at a Ben Franklin Crafts in our area, they still sell flat folds which are below retail in price.
    Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 AM

I agree with you, the variety in fabrics locally is pretty limited. But I do try to support our little store through buying notions, and fat quarters. Generally I go in at least once a month and try to spend at least $10. If we all do at least that it helps her to stay in business.
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 AM

We have 3 LQS with varying amounts of fabric and inventory turnover. I now have a sizeable stash (that's my thought anyway) so when I do go into a LQS, I want a friendly, neat and organized store. One of the LQS does make sure that her inventory is full of new fabrics - she has very good sales to clear out several times a year and she has a gallery of samples throughout the store. One of the other LQS has fabrics that I know are at least 5+ years old and is cluttered and disorganized. I don't feel guilty when I shop online- it is convenient, sames time and money.
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 AM

I have bought from online and Joann fabrics. I can use a coupon at Joann Fabrics. I can't afford to pay the prices the local quilt
    Shop charges. If I go to Lancaster, Pa I will buy from some of the shops there as they're more reasonable.
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:22 AM

Where is this quilt store??? Sounds like I need to visit!!!!!
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 AM

I have 2 close shops and they each carry different lines and I visit them both periodically so I know what they have but I also buy online because the locals shops don't carry what I'm looking for. One shop only has a sale once or twice a year. The other does have specials once in a while and if you re-use her shopping bag then you get a discount on your next purchase. I love sales/specials and that alone will tip me over the edge on buying something. I also have a hard time picking fabrics online. The online stores that are friendly and helpful in answering questions are definitely keepers in my book .... and our own Favorite Fabrics is one of those! I have called shops before just to find out how dark a particular fabric was and they acted like I was putting them out to look at the fabric. Needless to say, that online shop goes on the *other* list.

Suzy
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:42 AM

We have no LQS without driving 50 miles one way in any direction. So when I need something I order on line. I will vist the LQS when I am in the area, I combine trips, but otherwise I use the online fabric stores. I have yet to be disappointed. Saves me gas, I can shop at my leisure day or night.
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM

I mostly shop locally but every once in a while I need something that isn't available. So I buy online, Mettler thread in particular. I like to have at least 1 spool of gray and 1 of ecru available besides the one I'm using at all times, and our LQS seems only to carry one at a time.
    Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 AM

Totally loyal to my LQS-we are a small community of 650 people and I feel so blessed to have a shop here! With over 2,500 bolts of fabric to choose from, and all the latest notions and patterns-95% of my shopping is done here in town. If she doesn't have it-she will order it for me. The prices may be a bit higher, but the fabric is 1st quality-and by the time I drive to a city-all savings are lost on gas, meals etc.