Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are YOU making Christmas gifts this year?!

3 out of 4 grand kids are getting quilts.My mom may be getting another quilt this year.we are all only gifting the kids this year.except mom of course.mug rug and potholders make great gifts too.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I've made 9 flannel rag quilts and I'm making ME some pincushions

I've made pot holders, coffee cozy, and mug rugs, so far.

Blog Entries
    We certainly are a busy group. I made two I Spy quilts for grandsons, several table toppers for various people and some cute pillowcases with snowmen and two minkee pillowcases. Oh and I made a gorgeous Christmas Tree Skirt that I just love and will give to my daughter. I am also embroidering a piece to make into a pillow for my sis. I hope I get everything done soon because baking is next on the llst.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Two baby quilts for the newborn Niece and Nephew (8 months and 3 months, respectively) a matchbox car wallet for my son, a twin size quilt with a large angel panel in the center for my great-grandma (in the works) and 8 fleur-de-lis mug rugs for my son's preschool teachers (that's the school logo) were started last night.

If I have time, I might make a few microwave bowls for some co-workers, or the fabric bowls from CarolinePaj filled with homemade cookies.
    Megan
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/K9Creative
    Happiness is a new quilt and an old dog.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I am making crayon roll-ups for my son and his friends.
    May I ask what are Crayon Rollups?! Sounds like something my granddaughters would like.

I LOVE all of these ideas, I did find this morning a pattern of paper piecing a Coffee Pot and Coffee cups, I thought of making these into 6.1/4 inch squares for either mug rugs or pot holders. Either way I think they'll be easy enough but want to try some of these other ideas as well. Thanks to ALL!!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Dec. 7 and you're looking for Christmas projects?????? You must be a lot faster than me.

IN PROGRESS are 4 casserole carriers, about a half dozen shopping bags, 3 more dresses for little girls, a half dozen mug rugs, & my sweatshirt jacket

the tissue cover count is up to 263 and all but a dozen or so out.
    OH MY LORD!! You must have started in July! Ha! Actually I have about 4 women in the family to do a little something for and wanted something easy enough to make. WOW! I can't get over how much you've done! You must be very talented at what you do, the sweatshirt idea is great! I've seen those and thingk they are so unique! Thanks for your ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
    May I ask what are Crayon Rollups?! Sounds like something my granddaughters would like.

I LOVE all of these ideas, I did find this morning a pattern of paper piecing a Coffee Pot and Coffee cups, I thought of making these into 6.1/4 inch squares for either mug rugs or pot holders. Either way I think they'll be easy enough but want to try some of these other ideas as well. Thanks to ALL!!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/11056499...earch_type=all
    Megan

Quote Originally Posted by QM View Post
    I have a very limited gift list. The grands and foster children are getting quilts. For family and friends, gifts are generally homemade. Except for one, all were done by August.
    We have given to the local food drive. DH had the great idea to sponsor a "clean and struggling" family to a meal at a local restaurant this year, where the owner will make a fuss over the kids. We are not wealthy by any means, but we had times in the past living on the very edge, so we feel this is important. As a teen, DH put in long hours working for a landlord to keep a roof over the family's head when HIS family could not pay the rent. In our shaky economic times, these gifts are much more important than the table runners and placemats to kin.
    You and your family are truely gifted from the heart. I so admire your will to give as you do. I've been on edge at times myself, still there sometimes but I like you believe in giving from the heart to help another is the best gift one could give. You are a blessing in yourself.

Thank you so much!! I'd love to make thses for some nieces I have in Mobile AL. Also my grand daughter and a great grdaughter! Wonderful idea! Thanks again!

I'll admit, I 'borrow' ideas from etsy from time-to-time (for my personal use). I got the idea for a car wallet for my son from there. I didn't want to pay $10+ for one, so I looked at a few pics, got some fabric I thought he'd like, and made it myself (with a lot left over).

Name:  car1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  1.14 MB
    Name:  car2.JPG
Views: 414
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  car3.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  1.42 MB
    Megan

Blog Entries
    Everybody on my list is getting oven mitts and hot mats for the table.

Table runners, eye glass cases, lap quilt.
    Amythyst

I've made 2 Spicy Spiral table toppers, 2 of the MSQC tree table runners, a sampler table runner, a large lap "thinking outside the block" quilt & matching pillowcase for my DGS, 4 fabric bowls (only 6 more to go), 12 comfort wraps for an assisted living facility (with much help from my cousin, niece, & most especially, my DSIL). I did the quilting on all 12, DSIL did all of the binding. I still want to make a Swirling Stars - Card Trick table topper & also, a tree skirt out of the same pattern for the living room.

I am not making any gifts this year.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    The ten minute table runner is just that...about 10 minutes and you can make them into a pocket tote. Less fuss than anything else, and the table runner looks classy when it's done.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    i've made a few 10 minute table runners. working on a rag quilt for nephew's wedding gift (he was married in august but couldn't find any flannel then!) this weekend going through my stuff to see what needs finished off. my mom is having surgery tuesday and i will be staying (with my sister) with them tuesday night (fingers crossed she comes home but we kinda hope they keep her overnight - she is having a masectomy - and it is considered outpatient surgery - can you believe that one?) and all day wednesday. mom wants me to bring sewing machine down and just sit and sew and talk to her. sounds like i can get some stuff done hopefully! will be so thankful when the surgery is over and she is at home.

I'm working on a couple of quilts for grandkids. Hope to make some of the 10 minute table runners too. I like the idea of the grocery totes too but don't know if I'll get to them or not.

I'm making some pillowcases that will make the recipients smile... Also have knitted a hat and half-finger gloves, and have two more hats and a cowl and another pair of gloves to make! Better get off the computer and KNIT!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you so much for asking this question! I got so many great idea's from this post that I will be spending some quality time in my sewing room the next few days. Although I have been sewing since I was 12 and that is 50 years ago - I am learing so much from this group of fabulous seamstresses. Thank you again. You just gave me great ideas for my loved ones for Christmas.

I found something that I thought was different to give to daughters/adult granddaughters this year. The infinity scarf made from whatever that stuff that looks like fur, but is soooo very soft and plushy is called. Each scarf is 13"x wof....sew into tube, turn right side out, give it two twists, stuff one end into the other and sew across....the stitches just bury themselves into that soft stuff....Since we live in midwest and will get cold winter (any day now), this will be useful. Saw a tute on some site and found them already cut in a quilt shop.

I made nothing for gifts this year. My DD is in the process of moving and so is going to minimal possessions . She has decided to travel and live in a different place every year soooo... No one else really wants hand made things the others I know are all about name brands and price tags. Things I have made are stuck away in closets sooo...
    Since the downstairs is communal space none of my handmade stuff is there. I do love looking at everyone elses though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ragqueen03 View Post
    i've made a few 10 minute table runners. working on a rag quilt for nephew's wedding gift (he was married in august but couldn't find any flannel then!) this weekend going through my stuff to see what needs finished off. my mom is having surgery tuesday and i will be staying (with my sister) with them tuesday night (fingers crossed she comes home but we kinda hope they keep her overnight - she is having a masectomy - and it is considered outpatient surgery - can you believe that one?) and all day wednesday. mom wants me to bring sewing machine down and just sit and sew and talk to her. sounds like i can get some stuff done hopefully! will be so thankful
    when the surgery is over and she is at home.

Yes I believe that. I went in and had my breast removed and was home in three hours, what a night mare. God bless your mom and hope they keep her at least one day after surgery. Cookie64
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

I made grocery bags for my sister,sisters in law , nieces and my mom, made a quilted journal cover for another sister, an armchair caddy for a brother in law, quilted a gift bag for the pistachios I got my dad, and made a dorm quilt for a nephew
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    I have made a quilt for my new great grand son just need to put the binding on. I've been making pot holders for my husbands family and a purse for one of his daughters. I will show pictures later.

Cookie64
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast