Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a member of a quilting guild? >

Are you a member of a quilting guild?

Are you a member of a quilting guild?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Things to consider:
Do they work with charities in the community or are they global in nature?
Are they a registered 501(b) charity should you desire to get tax deductions?
Do you know anyone in the guild? Friends, church members, acquaintances?
Do you like the "tone" of the meetings? Some may be get-togethers, others more like a business meeting.
Do they contribute to teaching others or is it more a group of friends (sometimes can be clique-ish)?

Most of all, decide what you want to get out of the guild before you go to a meeting so you can more easily decide if it is worth the dues/ time spent. So often it is easy to get sucked into a group because you want to belong, only to discover that the focus of the group is not what you wanted to begin with.

Good luck with your search! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter
Wondering what the benefits are of being part of a guild. There are several quilting guilds here. I have thought about attending a meeting and checking them out. What should I look for and what questions should I ask? Is this something that will take a lot of time?

Ruby the Quilter
I joined 5 years ago. I was leaving full time office work, and I wanted to spend some more time doing things I love, like quilting. I wanted the social aspect of others with like interests-- kindred spirits. Now I am very close with some people from guild. I even go on vacation with some of these gals!

We have great programs, share patterns, and encourage and teach one another. We do lots of charity projects and have a great time together.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
clurz is right. I'd only add that often the first introduction to almost any group is great. Often you can't tell whether the group is right for you or not until you been with them for a few months, so being a guest for a few months might be better than jumping right in with a commitment.
Only draw back to being a guest most guilds at least in this state (around here) will allow you to visit as a guest once and after that you either join or pay a fee each time to attend especially teaching sessions.

So one can't just keep going for several months as a guest and not join.