Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are you in a quilt guild?

there's one here and I was thinking about going to the next meeting on the 16th. I'm just not sure though. On one hand I'd love to make some quilty friends but I have this idea (may be wrong) that if you're in a guild you make perfect quilts and I am nowhere near that point! So what are your thoughts on this?

Not at the moment, but I have been in the past.

Quilt guilds are just like any other group of ladies. It takes a while to get to know people, especially when you only see them once a month for a focused activity.

Most guild meetings have

1. a business meeting
    2. a program (usually a lecture on some technique or something)
    3. show and tell (and in all of my guilds, over 15 years, I have never seen anyone treated unkindly because their quilts were not perfect)
    4. refreshments

More "getting to know each other" is done at special events - social meetings, shows, workshops and small groups that meet to do projects between the guild meetings.

I belong to two guilds. I find the bigger the guild gets the better I like it. When my original one was small, less than 10 people, we had problems with quiltzillas. The larger group is better because each person's contribution is not as important. Each guild divides up into smaller groups by natural selection. If you don't like one group there are always others to join. With a larger group there are more people to take on the jobs and there is less pressue on individual members. Larger groups also mean there is more money to hire good speakers etc. I now belong to a Bee which is a small group of guild members that meet at a local Bernina dealer's shop twice a month just to visit, do handwork and swap advice. Then we all go out to lunch. AT this point in my life they are my main social outlet. We also go on shopping excursions together and to big shows.

Banned
    i've been in 3 guild's and now i'm in 2.

i left one guild because it was more of a social group then a quilt group. not that i don't like to chat with people its just i want to learn things too.

very few people in guilds make perfect quilts - the ratio is maybe 50/50.

not to mention, the experienced people like beginner/intermediate because they have people to teach and motivate - otherwise its just a bunch of "know it alls" sitting around with nothing to talk about except gossip.

Blog Entries
    I'm guild president. I had more fun as a member! One thing I insist on, if anyone has a complaint do not air it at the meetings. Talk to me personally and have a working solution to the problem or don't bring it up. I want the meetings to be fun, interesting, and a learning time.

Blog Entries
    I procrastinated about joining ever since I got interested in quilting about 4 years ago.
    I felt if I had $25 (annual fee), I would rather use it for fabric. I had alot of books and patterns downloaded from the internet. Why did I need to join a guild?
    Then, in January this year, I decided to join. Wow! I should have joined years ago!
    The first meeting I came home inspired in 3 styles of quilts or new techniques. Not only from the speaker, but from the member show and tell. It has been the same each meeting.
    One thing I noticed that first meeting, and each meeting since, is that whether we are talking the national speaker's quilts, the professional longarm quilter's quilt, or the great-gramma, who hand quilts wobbly seamed little doll quilts that are just simple little squares all the same size - each one is oooohed and aaaaahed over. Each one is grabbed for on the way back to their seat, wanting a closer inspection of fabrics, colors, blocks, quilting - something.
    Each person is praised (not like it is in the unwritten rules somewhere, but an honest appreciation), and each person comes away encouraged and inspired.
    Also, the guild uses the speakers to teach classes (outside the time of the regular monthly meeting). True, there is a fee for this - but it is more than worth it! I took a class with John Flynn, and felt I learned so much, not only from the teacher (who was fantastic by the way), but from the other class participants too. I felt I now have someone I can show small issues to and ask for advice of those other class members.
    Since I have joined this chat group, I feel it is sort of the same. Good friends meeting, and sharing, and rejoycing, and getting jealous of! But, it is not ever a judgement, a put down, a superiority thing. It is just great friends together.
    Over the summer the guild doesn't meet, and I have been having serious withdrawls! I can hardly wait for September to come.
    One other thing our guild does, is it has several small groups that meet once a month to work on individual projects and just chat over coffee. I joined one of these groups a couple of weeks ago, and it was wonderful to feel a part of a bunch of friends.
    My advise is to join a guild. From my experience they are a great way to learn, share, become inspired and just have fun! Good luck finding a guild near you.

I am in a quilt guild, and no my quilts are not perfect. The guild members are kind, caring women. I receive a ton of encouragement and i learn and get inspired every time I go. You could try it for a couple of times and see if it is for you. I have had a good experience so far.

I belong to a large guild and yes, there are a few people that make perfect quilts and will critizice others, but those are the minority. The majority in my group make good quilts and share their knowledge and experience by holding classes and workshops, and then there is a very large group that make not so good quilts, and are there to learn. As you grow in the guild you will move (not Knowing) from group to group and will have a lot of fun. My favorite part is show and tell, even though I am jealous because I see a lot of women (no men in my guild) that spend most of their day sewing, while I hold a full time job and daydream about quilting. The next day after a meeting I want to call in sick.

I find that even the quilts that are not so perfect will get ohhs and ahhs during show and tell, because most of the time the imperfections are only noticeable to you. A quilt with the right color combination and best of all, with a great story behind, doesn't need to be perfect. From the distance of a chair in a school cafeteria, for example, you don't see corners that don't match or cut off points. You just see a woman that spent time making a quilt and is proud of it, and just the fact that she stood there is a wonderful thing.

I say join the guild and enjoy. Take all the classes that you can. You will not regret it. The good thing is that if you don't like it, you can always leave.

Maria

I belong to a guild! Have been an officer, and worked on lots of committees in the 20 plus years that I have been a member off and on. There are men and women in our guild of all levels of experience and interests. There are social events and teaching events and show and tell. We have a big quilt show every two years, (Coming up at the end of September) and I love each of the members in a special way. There is sew much to learn and sew much talent and..... more than I can tell!
    There are several guilds in the greater metro area and if I didn't like the one I was in sew much, I would join another! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I belong but I am not an active member.

I really enjoy belonging to a guild. I think you should give it a try and see how you like it. It's fun to be with other people who also have an interest in quilting. It's also a good place to learn no things.

I belong to a local guild and most of our members don't care about having perfect quilts. They just enjoy having new folks join. We have a short business meeting, show & tell, and a program. Not usually refreshments unless it is a special program. I am helping quilt a raffle quilt for our 2010 quilt show and was one of about 12-14 that is working on it and feel privileged to have been asked. I am not a good hand quilter but they asked me to help.

It is worth it just to go and see show and tell and be inspired in some way for that next project.

I've belonged to the same guild since 1996!
    I don't think I've ever heard any of our members go into quiltzilla mode, or if they do, they're not at the meeting! lol
    Like others have said, we have a short business meeting, with show & tell (one of my favorite parts!), door prizes, block of the month, etc., then a short break for all the goodies the members who have a b'day that month have brought, then a program with a speaker usually. We also have a good sized lending library & always quilt mags & books for sale as well. Often, on the Saturday following the meeting, our speakers will also do a workshop (for a fee, usually only about $25). We also have members who do workshops for us as well & those sometimes only cost us $5 !! What a bargain! This month we are having a potluck - and boy are our members great cooks! And in December we have a catered dinner (the guild pays part & we pay part) and a party - many members donate items - small quilts, fabric, tops, ornaments - one member paints beautiful gourd birdhouses & always gives several! - and we buy tickets to put into cans with the # of the items we would like to win. We eat & share & laugh & have a great time!!
    We have a quilt show every other year also - our next one is the first weekend of May 2010 - Come on out for it!! :D
    So, I vote YES!!! Join the guild!

I belong,but not as active as I would like to be.the meetings conflict with my work/sleep hours
    I really enjoyed it when I was able to attend

well it sounds like it might be a good thing then! There's actually 2 near me since I'm right near 2 cities. I think I'll join what I assume will be the smaller one. I did meet one lady from the other one...she was really nice and gave me some books on quilting but I have to admit being new to this and seeing her setup was just mind boggling and intimidating! I know one meets the 16th of this month and I have it on the calendar.

I am.
    But for that last few months I've been MIA.
    Went on vacation then we moved.

I'm actually going to join my first guild this coming Monday night! :) It's the state-wide guild for Arkansas that meets in N. Little Rock, where I work. The local guild of the county where I live currently has a prohibition against men being members, but I'm hoping that will change. I spoke with a member of the guild last week and she was shocked at that information and said that she planned to ask about it. So maybe things will change on the local level here. But if not, I will have the state-wide guild that I'm going to join, so I'm happy about that! :D

I joined my first last March. It is large but only 30-40 members are active and come to the meetings.

There are some members that bring masterpieces every month to "show" but there are just as many that bring their quilts that are not perfect. The ladies are great and the guild has a "library" to borrow from, a quilt show every other year and donation quilts (this year they did Quilts of Valor).

You should go - and check it out. See if the ladies are friendly and inviting!!

After several years of "The Cousins Quilt Guild" -- my cousin Janet and me -- we found a small local guild, joined, and we really enjoy it. Only about 12 of us and only 2 besides us who enjoy "quilting adventures" but at almost every meeting someone has a new technique to "teach", we always have good show and tell. No refreshments, no guest speakers. We try to find new members but quilting isn't that big in this area. Twice a year we go out to dinner and in the fall we go as a group to "Quilter's Day Out", a wonderful day of nothing but quilts held by a very large guild in the Poconos (Pennsylvania). We have a charity meeting once a month and have donated numerous quilts to local nursing homes.

Two years ago I discovered Empire Quilts in New York City and can still remember walking into that room with over 100 quilters assembled and feeling I had come home. I think there are well over 200 members, every meeting has something new and exsciting (and a vendor!), excellent speakers, lots going on. The guild takes summer hiatus and I can't wait for September to get back. It's also two blocks from NY's only quilt shop The City Quilter and yes once in a while members spend their lunch hour there instead of having lunch LOL.

Each of the two guilds gives me something different and I'm very fortunate to have both. I'd highly recommend giving a guild a try.

Blog Entries
    I'm in 2, one day one night....love them both...we just had Ami Simms come last week...love her

I have just moved to a new area and joined one of the guilds here.

Everyone has been very welcoming and the meetings are well organized and informative. Like others mentioned, I do like the show and tell part best and every creation is appreciated equally whether it is a complicated "work of art" or just squares sewn together.

We do comfort quilts, there are always fun raffles and we have just completed an opportunity quilt. (I worked on it!----very fun)
    The guild offers workshops at resonable prices, too, taught by quilters from other areas. All in all it has been a great experience. Be sure to volunteer and get involved.

It is a good way to get acquainted with other people that share your love of quilting!

I believe that "perfect" is not something that most guilds look for....they are looking for "sharing" of knowledge, ideas, etc.

I do belong to a guild and have made many friends there and have gotten untold knowledge from those that are there.

I recommend you join....... :-)

Blog Entries
    Just to fill in your question..I belong to 3 guilds,And every body that I have met, are wonderful people.. Some people I've noticed, arent as friendly, but the ladies tell me, dont worry about those people.. It will take some people a little longer to get to know you..Here's another little comment. I'm the only guy in 2 of those guild's, and I'm treated just like one of ladies(ha-ha)..The 3rd guild, there's 4-5 other men, and they say there treated not any different.. So enjoy, the guild's.. Thing's will eventually mellow out.. Don-isewman1

Blog Entries
    I am a member of 2 guilds and love them both and I joined for the learning which is great but it does take awhile to get to know the ladies but it does happen especially in the classes we encourage new members and the purpose is to help and teach beginners so I say go and enjoy Dodie

I've belong to a guild for about 8 years. You can learn so much by attending lectures, workshops and trunk shows given by guest speakers and guild members, not to mention viewing quilts each meeting during Show and Tell. Best of all, you get to talk about quilting to people who understand what you're talking about, not like your family and friends whose eyes roll when you talk quilting. Exception would be when that family member or friend wants you to make them a quilt.

Give it a try as most guild allow you to attend their meetings as guests before you decide whether or not to join. If you do join the best way to get to know other members is join a small group. I belong to 2 in my Guild, Crazy 8's (that's because we very rarely have 8 members) who decide upon projects we do individually and Story Weavers, who read books and get inspiration for quilts. My Guild also has several applique groups and an art quilt group. I say, Go For It.

May in Jersey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast