Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk! >

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I have a Singer 5050 domestic sewing machine and I do FMQ on it without the frame. Since I am a beginner, my quilts are about 60" x 80" so not very large. I roll my quilts really tight and pray really hard . I was thinking about getting a frame, but its cost is prohibitive right now. My husband, who is very handy, found plans for a quilting frame on line and according to people who already made the frame it is really easy to assemble it and you can buy all the parts at Home Depot type of stores. The plans are not free, they are about $20 and the parts cost about $150. My hubby promissed to make one for me as soon as he finishes his current project of wiring our basement for my sewing room...yes, I am going to have permanent space! I will post pictures when he finishes the frame, until then I will be doing my "acrobatic" quilting on my dining room table.
I was wondering if your hubby ever made you the frame?
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM

I have a little Gracie and juki machine. I have done, 10, king size quilts. The biggest problem that I have is getting it rolled tight enough to be able to make it through to the end. I have a 5 inch tall pattern that I use, and by the time I get to the end, I can just barely fit the pattern. So my advice is: to roll it very very tight on the take up rod. I also keep a flashlight and mirror hand so I can check the underside as xI go along. I have already gotten to the end and found that the thread was a mess and had to tear out an entire row of stitching.

I can only go about 1 and 1/4 rows on one bobbin, so have started just changing the bobbin at the end of each row. It wastes some thread but saves a lot of time. I need about 30 bobbins to do one king size quilt, so I plan to get more bobbins because stopping halfway through to wind bobbins is a real pain.

I would like to hear of other's experiences and helpful hints also.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:47 AM. Reason: language
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana View Post
I have a Singer 5050 domestic sewing machine and I do FMQ on it without the frame. Since I am a beginner, my quilts are about 60" x 80" so not very large. I roll my quilts really tight and pray really hard . I was thinking about getting a frame, but its cost is prohibitive right now. My husband, who is very handy, found plans for a quilting frame on line and according to people who already made the frame it is really easy to assemble it and you can buy all the parts at Home Depot type of stores. The plans are not free, they are about $20 and the parts cost about $150. My hubby promissed to make one for me as soon as he finishes his current project of wiring our basement for my sewing room...yes, I am going to have permanent space! I will post pictures when he finishes the frame, until then I will be doing my "acrobatic" quilting on my dining room table.
Perhaps you could make a deal with the lady who said she has hers in storage.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I recently bought the Brother Nouvelle 1500's quilting machine and also a quilt frame and have been practicing for the past two weeks machine quilting. I can tell this machine does a lot more stitches per minute than my every day machine does. I am still awkward with the foot pedal and the speed but when I do get in the "zone" the stitches come out great!!

Here is my system...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352365[/ATTACH]

Tell me about how you enjoy machine quilting on a short arm and if you have any "tips" to share.
I suggest getting a speed control, so the speed stays constant.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM

Good Morning, This is my first time on the site although I have been a member since July of 12. Can we say I don't have much time? I have a question. How do you go about cutting your thread or refilling the bobbin? I have been contemplating a short arm quilt frame since I don't have enough time to make enough quilts to make a long arm a wise move. Also, any ideas of where I should go to buy a short arm set up?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 AM

About 4 years ago, my DH bought a Bernina frame for my for Christmas. I put my 430 with the BSR on it and machine quilted over 30 quilts on it. I became frustrated by the small space at the end of the quilt, but could not justify a long arm and loved the Bernina frame, but the platform was had limited space. After d several months of thinking and l saving, I decided to upgrade to a Bernina 820 with a 12 inch throat. My rationale was when I do decide to go with a long arm, I will still have a very nice sewing machine to use, instead of trying to sell a mid arm like a Bailey 13 that would have fit my frame. I am very happy and feel like I have more space. I have seen these posts before, and am not sure where I fit, Short arm or Long arm quilter. LOL
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by curleywirley View Post
Good Morning, This is my first time on the site although I have been a member since July of 12. Can we say I don't have much time? I have a question. How do you go about cutting your thread or refilling the bobbin? I have been contemplating a short arm quilt frame since I don't have enough time to make enough quilts to make a long arm a wise move. Also, any ideas of where I should go to buy a short arm set up?
my [machine has an auto thread cutter on it, otherwise, you would have to reach under and snip it. For changing the bobbin, i do it after each row when I am advancing the quilt. You move the machine to the end of the row and loosen the quilt so you can work around it. I waste some thread but saves me a lot of time by doing it that way.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 AM

Good morning to you, I wind enough bobbins before I start, saves the hassle of winding mid quilt. As for cutting I pull the bobbin thead to the top and leave about a 5 inch peice. After the quilt is done those I sew them into the batting layer with a hand needle. I have a Juki and a Handiquilter frame on an 8 foot table. It takes up space but it works for me.

Originally Posted by curleywirley View Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by pamg View Post
OK I have this same machine and frame....maybe you can tell me what I am doing wrong...my thread keeps breaking....I make sure the quilt isn't laying on machine bed....the quilt is tight....I have good quiilting thread...I try not to go to fast....but it breaks some times after 2 rolls other times after a few stitches.....hope you ao some one can help with ideas.....
I've had the same problem with my Mega Quilter. It was frustrating. I rethreaded, cleaned, etc only to have it continue to break thread. Someone posted that having the bobbin in the wrong direction can cause thread to break. I took out the instruction book and the bobbin case and held it up as in the manual....lo and behold, the bobbin was in backwards. I switched it and no more problem!!! Hope it works for you too!!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM

I just got a viking mega quilter and inspira frame. I already had a wooden grace frame that I used with my sewing machine but my husband got me a quilting and it came with the frame. I am excited about getting to uses it and could uses any advise on how to begin. The machine has a laser to uses with patterns and if you have any advise on where to find some pattern it would help. I should beable to get to really play with this new toy tonight. I know with the wooden grace frame and sewing machine it took awhile to get the tension just right and the right thread and lots of practice.