Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You want how much? Craigslist edition

As with anything, let the buyer beware. I went to a fabric sale couple years ago that was on Craigs. Lots of neat material but it wasn't a "need cash now" type thing. A lady helping out couple shops that were closing their doors. I did get a couple yards of different pieces for my stash.

Why someone felt the need to single out that post on Craigslist and post it here just to see everyone get riled up is beyond me. What if it were you in that situation? Seems to be a trend here lately that is not attractive for this message board at all....judgemental attitudes...even if it is on the Chitchat only..doesn't matter. Let's get back to the beauty and love of quilting, ladies. After all, that is where we shine!

I receintly had to adjust my homeowners insurance policy. I had re done my sewing room and just wanted to make sure everything was covered in case of a loss. My agent originally replied by saying of course don't worry about it . Then I questioned the limit the insurance company would cover, unless a specific rider was used. He said you can't possibly have that much... To make along story short he came to 'inspect" the situation. I pulled a chunk of fabric off the shelf and said "this was $10.00. He was stunned ... counted the number of pieces on one shelf and was stunned at the value on just one of many shelves. I now have a special rider on my homeowners policy.
    My point is that when it comes to fabric and supplies the value can really add up quickly. Now does that mean you should pay "full value" it has been my experience that when I have gone to estate sales and similiar .10 to .20Cents on the real dollar value is the going rate. Make an offer is you are truley interested. But do inspect the items , as you know our tastes in fabric are so different from one quilter to another. If you can't use the items or have any need ....than any price is more than you should spend.

It doesn't matter WHY she is selling her things, the point is, if you have the money & want it...it is available. Personally I do not need it. Hope she gets a fair price. A few Rulers alone add up quickly.

Assuming this is real, I feel sorry for these women. Imagine being in a situation where you longed to help your daughter so badly and the only way you could do it was to sell off your "hobby" because you had so much invested in it and you didnt have enough emergency fund in cash. Imagine being the daughter in a situation where you needed to ask your mother to do this for you. No matter how dysfunctional the situation is (or is not) it is sad.

Times are tough out there. I know my parents have essentially nothing but they would sell everything they own to help me. As the one woman said, there but for the Grace of God, go I.

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Why someone felt the need to single out that post on Craigslist and post it here just to see everyone get riled up is beyond me. What if it were you in that situation? Seems to be a trend here lately that is not attractive for this message board at all....judgemental attitudes...even if it is on the Chitchat only..doesn't matter. Let's get back to the beauty and love of quilting, ladies. After all, that is where we shine!
    Nicely said. I'm always amazed at the nasty things we say about quilters in other groups and guilds; and here we are treating someone, that we don't know, exactly the same way. Let's get back to happy things. :D

I don't think so either, must be a miss print.

Another subject:
    Does anyone have a Bernina 180E? Do you like it? I have a friend that is selling hers with many extras plus the original extras that came with the machine for #1350.00. Is this a good price? The machine is in great condition

Power Poster
    Just for kicks:

Add up what it would cost to replace your rulers at full price.

Add up what it would cost to replace your thread at full price.

Add up what it would cost to replace your cutting mats at full price.

Your scissors, your pins, your templates, your iron, your shelving, your totes - - -

even what it would cost to replace at 1/2 price?

I don't even want to think about what I've invested in sewing stuff over the past 50 years.

I have thought about just this subject many times as I sat and looked at my sewing room. Just the fabric alone would be in the thousands, then add in the machines and rulers and on and on. We are all wealthy in our own way and I feel deeply sad for whatever reason that woman feels she needs to sell her stuff for, feel blessed that I have a good situation and don't have to contemplate anything like that in my life. Hope she finds her way to help her daughter as family is precious and should be held together and helped in times of need.

Has anyone read Snopes.com suggestions for what constitutes a SCAM? I think this fits! It just does not sound practical. If you had this stuff and shelves, etc. how would you cope with getting it to my house?

Quote Originally Posted by myrna
    Has anyone read Snopes.com suggestions for what constitutes a SCAM? I think this fits! It just does not sound practical. If you had this stuff and shelves, etc. how would you cope with getting it to my house?
    Sorry gals, but I think you are all spending way too much time on this!! I have no idea why this thread has garnered the comments that it has!

Just when I thought when I move I'd lower my insurance as we intend on downsizing in other areas, I didn't give the proper thought to all my quilting things. Will have to check into that and a rider, cost, etc., etc.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Would have thought of it, probably too late knowing me! :oops:

Blog Entries
    I agree, it does seem like a lot of stuff and good stuff too! I would have to see it to be certain, but seems bartering might be an option if really interested.

The value is there only if someone wants exactly what she has to sell.

Personally I don't want to pay a big chunk of money and find out that the fabrics aren't to my liking etc. I would want to see all of it first to make a decision, but she should be wise enough not to let strangers into her home.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I was poking on Craigslist. Saw this ad. $500 for notions, safety pins, mats, fabric... "worth over $2,000". Yeah, I dun't think so.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/art/1736404943.html
    I looked at this ad and it appears the lady is selling the entire contents of her quilting room. Much more tham notions etc. I'm not sure how Craig's List works but if this is for real, it sounds like a good deal to me. I would consider it an insult if someone offered me $500.00 for the contents of my sewing room. I'm sure it's (mine) worth at least several thousand. And I bet most of our quilters could say the same of theirs or more!

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    there ain't no way I'd sell ALL my quilting stuff to bail out a stupid kid... probably one of those brat-assed kids who think they know everything - got hooked up with some pimp who ran her life and she let him and wouldn't listen to mom for one minute....
    you wouldn't believe the girls down here who get hooked up (literally) with meth heads and the next thing you know, you see them getting arrested along with the 'boy'friend and a few other unsavory characters and the baby and toddler are taken away because they were in the same room as the meth lab...
    and they are all scratching away at their 'methmites'... and look 100 years old...
    OTOH that woman probably raised the brat in the first place accustomed to gimme gimme gimme and I want it so you better give it to me - which is why she's winding up ponying up for this latest whatever-it-is.....
    Wow, all that from a Craigslist posting? I am guessing that the woman may have started quilting and spent like crazy and then lost interest. Lots of folks start a hobby and spend big and then never do it again. And I was just guessing that maybe the daughter was getting a divorce, it mentioned helping with a car which can sometimes go with getting a divorce.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    We can speculate until the cows come home...but the long and short of it is that the lady feels that she needs to sell the stuff...and it does look like she's got at least $500 into it...I wish her luck! (My vote is for a single mom who is trying to both work and go to school, car broke down and mom's trying to help in anyway she can.)
    I agree! I just took a look at all the other replies to this thread and I'm mind boggled! Where did all this venom come from? For gosh sakes! All the poor soul did was place an ad on Craig's List, which is free. She must be in an awful bind to be willing to sell all of her stash of quilting stuff like that. If this is not a fake, and I somehow feel it's not, she's only doing what any loving mom would do if she had no available funds to help her daughter. She's willing to sell what is worth a lot to her. Even if it should not be worth 500.00 , SHE thinks it is, obviously. And maybe her DD doesn't even know she's doing this. I sure hope the poor lady doesn't belong to this forum. How would we explain ourselves if she happened to read all this?

:( :oops:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    WOW. even if I had $2000. I think I could get more than that, unless I bought a sewing machine. God bless. Penny

The add says make an offer.

Blog Entries
    I hope the daughter can indeed get out of a bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by myrna
    She does not mention that shelves or storage units are included.

Maryse...you just gave me a fright when i saw your new avatar!
    Then i adjusted to it, hehehe.
    Back to this subject...looks like it worth at lease $350 if you had
    that kind of cash upfront. It does have a few good many items altogether., when you read what all she has.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2