Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are you working outside your comfort zone...I am...

I once belonged to an online quilt club, something like this forum. They had an idea where they had you challenge yourself, do something put of your comfort zone. Very small wall quilts or just a few blocks. My challenge was two fold. I am a "matchy-matchy girl" (in their terminology....everything has to match and coordinate). So I chose 42 four inch squares of the most ugliest fabrics ever created. Then did the drunkards path square...cutting the "pie" and the "crust" from each square of fabric . Putting each half into different bags, shaking them, then pulling a crust and a pie and sewing them together. Two very hard things to do....creating curves from fabric that didn't go together and making it work. I am so proud of how it turned out. It hangs on my dining room wall.
    I love the colors you chose. Look forward to seeing the finished product
    Last edited by Bneighbor; 11-03-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Dang spell check

oooooh! that's sewww pretty.
    will quilt 4EVER

I enjoy a good challenge. They day I'm too old too learn something new, just put me out to pasture already. Curved piecing is definitely on my quilting bucket list, and hey, that bucket is full to the brim and sloshing over! It's been fun to watch your project coming together.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Good on you for trying a new technique. The blocks are looking great.

Yes my very first quilt ever I did a queen size Kaleidescope and that was really out of my comfort zone!!
    Your Blocks are looking great,keep up the good work it will be well worth all the ripping in the end!!!
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Blog Entries
    What a neat idea! I would love to see a picture of the quilt you made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    I once belonged to an online quilt club, something like this forum. They had an idea where they had you challenge yourself, do something put of your comfort zone. Very small wall quilts or just a few blocks. My challenge was two fold. I am a "matchy-matchy girl" (in their terminology....everything has to match and coordinate). So I chose 42 four inch squares of the most ugliest fabrics ever created. Then did the drunkards path square...cutting the "pie" and the "crust" from each square of fabric . Putting each half into different bags, shaking them, then pulling a crust and a pie and sewing them together. Two very hard things to do....creating curves from fabric that didn't go together and making it work. I am so proud of how it turned out. It hangs on my dining room wall.
    I love the colors you chose. Look forward to seeing the finished product

Blog Entries
    I have been watching the free crafty BOM this morning...finishing the quilt. I did not make the quilt, but I did do a few and made a quilt - I made the string block - quite a few...that is my favorite block. I also tried a few of the other blocks. Now seeing if I can get any tips for finishing the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Yah...I just finished all of the curved pieces!!!! Good night ladies!

Good for YOU! As a teacher, I am all for people learning new things and fighting thru the challenge. I love your colors. They look lovely.

Blog Entries
    I like to try new things, but the Double Wedding Ring (pieced, not applique), has me back to simple, easy patterns for awhile!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I am fairly new to quilting...everything is out of my comfort zone! Love your color choices
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

Blog Entries
    I am fairly new to quilting...everything is out of my comfort zone! Love your color choises
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

oooooooo very pretty
    Beverly

Yes, I find many of my UFO's are because I reach one of those out of my comfort zones. I STOP, sometimes I am able to sleep on it and figure it out, or I do additional research either with tutorials, you tubes, this site, more books, and often it stays patiently, waiting for me to grasp that step so I can move forward. (Also, my seam ripper.) (It would be nice to have a Mom, Grandmother at that time) Love your colors and values.
    Carol

Now you've got me excited to try a Drunkard's Path.

Blog Entries
    Love it. We're going to learn that in our quilt group. Love it.
    Linda

You may be out of your comfort zone, but you are sure in your groove. Love your colors and your circles are looking like work by a pro. Congrats and keep it up!

EVERY single quilt design I make, is out of my comfort zone. But it doesn't take long for me to fall in love again. And again. And again.

You need to just rethink it. We get psyched out with what we hear about things. I didn't know any better and chose a Drunkard's Path as my first project. It wasn't until after I was done that I found out how difficult it was supposed to be. I was very proud of myself, but convinced that we need to not listen to the "others" on all things. Beautiful colors and mix, by the way.
    Judy
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I learned how to make curves a little bit ago and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Your blocks are so pretty. You chose some really pretty fabric!! And your piecing is so precise! Good job!!!!!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Not only did you do curves, you picked a directional fabric pattern with zigzags and lined them all up! Way to work you skills!
    Debbie Dresser

Every time I start a new quilt, I make sure there is something about it that I've never done before. I really, REALLY want to learn and for me the best way to do that is to make sure I'm trying something new all the time. So I'm always out of my comfort zone! LOL!

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

Have only been quilting about 2 yrs. this year did hand quilting on a twin sized quilt for DGD. Took a while, but it came out pretty good. She loves it....

I am new to quilting and your blocks look lovely to me. Keep up the good work and this site is everything inspiring.

Happy Quilting!!! Annie

It's a challenge to work outside the box sometimes. It's good to do and I do it at least once a month. I'm in a small group within my guild that forces me to go outside the box often. I'm also participating in a Brown Bag (adding onto a block) and a Row Robin (making a row ) within my guild now too. Both of those are challenging for me since most everyone is very traditional and I'm not. I made my first HST's last month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast