Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
your experience with craig's list >

your experience with craig's list

your experience with craig's list

Old 05-15-2014, 09:38 PM

Default your experience with craig's list

I have seen a lot of posts where people have purchased quilting fabric or sewing machines from Craig's List. I would like to list my longarm quilting machine for sale on Craig's List. Anyone have any experience selling a sewing machine on CL?
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 PM

I have only sold one thing on CL--it was a portable oxygen machine for my SIL. It was easy and sold it for $1600 cash. The big downside to me is having strangers come to your home. For your safety don't meet anyone by yourself. Both my adult daughters have bought and sold furniture items without incident too. I would only sell for cash and make them load it and provide transportation. You should also expect to demo it to prove it works but it is an expensive item so I think that is reasonable.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 PM

I have sold a desk and a dresser by Craig's list. My DD sold her pickup within an hour on CL and then again sold a couch and a dining room table and chairs. Each time all went well. Must admit I was rather nervous -and my goal was to get rid of the desk and dresser without having to pay someone to remove them.

Do ask for cash only and show it only with other people are home. Have you thought about selling on consignment at a quilt shop?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 AM

I have sold and purchased loads of stuff on Craigslist - this is what I have found....... Different areas of the country are flat out different (people might not show, ask you to jump through hoops, want you to sell it to them for a fraction of what you want OR it will go smoothly). That being said - it is free and and if you have the right person read your add - you will sell it.

We moved from No VA, where things an craigslist went like hotcakes to New England where you get a lot of no shows etc. My recommendation is post lots of pictures, hide your email and address until you have interest in your item (ie use their craigslist respond to seller), NEVER say it is sold until you have cash in hand (even if someone says they really want it - do not hold it for them - tell them it goes to the first person with either the full price or a non refundable deposit on it). The last recommendation - is always have someone else in the house when someone comes to see it.

You have nothing to lose - good luck with your sale!!

Last edited by eparys; 05-16-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:35 AM

Some time ago I did sell stuff on CL but lately, no hits at all. There are soooooo many things listed for sale, so..!! It can be depressing to not be able to get rid of stuff… Always had good experience selling (all were women, coming to my home) or buying (meet in public place, usually ˝ way)….
Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I sold my entire quilt frame setup on CL when I lived in MN... frame, machine, quilting robot, etc. I did not get nearly as much as I would have liked. the buyers drove in from afar and they only had a short time frame to buy, so i had to make a quick decision.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

I have a quilting friend in Oregon that listed fabric for sell on Craig's list and most of the people wanted it for much less. Yes, she was worried about strangers coming to her home so she took a teenage son with her to another location. You have to be so careful now a days.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:28 AM

Sold my fun quilter, sight unseen to someone in CO on CL. He sent a deposit and we met him halfway. Great sale to a very trusting buyer! It was a surprise for his wife.

That said I've sold many smaller items and meet people somewhere in a public parking lot such as Walmart. Safer and give out no personal info and always ask for cash.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:36 AM

Why not list it here in the For Sale section of QB? We are your target audience after all!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:06 AM

Haven't sold anything but bought lots of stuff. Always paid cash and was careful to take someone with me when going to a house to look. Just recently posted that I bought 115 yards of cotton fabric from a lady. Nice experience!