Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Favorite Applique Tips >

Your Favorite Applique Tips

Your Favorite Applique Tips

Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
JulieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Emmitsburg, MD
Posts: 1,599
Default Your Favorite Applique Tips

Hi all! I'd really love to hear what tips you all have to share about applique -- of any kind. For instance, I'm awful at interior points (like the "cleavage" of a heart) and I'm hoping to see someone's pet trick for that. But meanwhile, here are some of mine -- even if they seem obvious, they weren't to me when I started!

Do not clip outside curves for needle-turn applique. Not clipping avoids both points and fraying.

When clipping inside curves, don't clip until you absolutely have to, when your next stitch requires it. This cuts down on fraying, too.

And just like in life, when you come to a curve, concentrate only on your next stitch. The stitches an inch away will get their turn!
JulieR is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Chicca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 2,179
Default

Excellent tips! My best tip always helps me.....do not just jump right in. Take the time and really look things over, read instructions and tips on patterns and play with fabric choices.
Chicca is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Posts: 34
Default

My tip is to buy the best needles you can afford. Either straw needles or superfine applique needles. What an amazing difference it makes in being able to make those stitches just disappear. MJ
maryjane is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
JulieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Emmitsburg, MD
Posts: 1,599
Default

Originally Posted by Chicca View Post
Excellent tips! My best tip always helps me.....do not just jump right in. Take the time and really look things over, read instructions and tips on patterns and play with fabric choices.
No joke, I've wasted a lot of time fixing mistakes. I just LOVE ripping out stitches! Said no quilter ever

Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
My tip is to buy the best needles you can afford. Either straw needles or superfine applique needles. What an amazing difference it makes in being able to make those stitches just disappear. MJ
Welcome from Maryland! Very true. What are your favorites?
JulieR is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 2,135
Default

Fo needleturn applique I love silk thread and superfine needles. I use 2 layers of freezer paper as a template ironed on to my piece. I then use some liquid starch applied with a paintbrush and a mini iron to press my seam allowances down. I then remove the freezer paper and stitch it down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvnqtxBeBj8
For the pesky little inner points, I use just the tiniest little bit of elmers glue just to hold those few centre threads. Don't use too much as you wont be able to stitch though it.
woody is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  #6  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
JulieR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Emmitsburg, MD
Posts: 1,599
Default

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Fo needleturn applique I love silk thread and superfine needles. I use 2 layers of freezer paper as a template ironed on to my piece. I then use some liquid starch applied with a paintbrush and a mini iron to press my seam allowances down. I then remove the freezer paper and stitch it down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvnqtxBeBj8
For the pesky little inner points, I use just the tiniest little bit of elmers glue just to hold those few centre threads. Don't use too much as you wont be able to stitch though it.
You know, I had read somewhere a while back about running the needle tip through a glue stick before sweeping the inner point, but I never have a glue stick (and never remember when I'm at the store). I do have a little Elmer's liquid though, I'll have to try it!
JulieR is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England Alton Towers
Posts: 6,674
Default

Use a wax on the thread it slides much better,
Check your thread colour carefully so it disappears into the material.
I like to star h the fabric before cutting it puts a barrier on fabric especially if you are marking the fabric for placement.
Helpful to place applique pieces onto the fabric using a Pruitt stick to hold while you sew
DOTTYMO is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
J.M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 260
Default

Oh, I love the starching before cutting tip - a great way to make sure the markings for placement come off much easier!
J.M. is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
PenniF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Texas formerly The Burgh
Posts: 3,392
Default

Thank you JulieR for mentioning those interior angle Vs...and for letting me know that i am not alone.....i just cannot seem to get them to turn out right...and actually avoid any applique that has them because i feel like they "ruin" all my hard work. Really hoping someone can give the definitive "hint" on that!!
PenniF is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
jemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: adelaide /australia
Posts: 1,390
Default

i use glue to hold my pieces now but for those who do not like to use glue the very best tip[from Lucian Newman fogive the spelling]-==pin from underneath the work so no pin ends to catch the thread where you are working
jemma is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MaryKatherine
Pictures
138
05-10-2011 05:05 AM
craftybear
Links and Resources
5
09-23-2010 11:57 AM
craftybear
Links and Resources
6
09-19-2010 07:09 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.