Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite beginner projects and books? >

Your favorite beginner projects and books?

Your favorite beginner projects and books?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM

I have been teaching beginning quilting for over 15 years. The First thing that I want my students to learn is correct rotary cutting and sewing as perfect a scant 1/4" seam as they can do. A good beginning quilt to learn these techniques and prepare you for a beginning quilt class is a very simple rail fence. That is the first block we do in my classes. Then we go on the a nine patch, a pinwheel, and a log cabin...all put together with a 3" finished border and mitered binding. Don't try to do anything larger that a 48" square quilt, as the larger you go on the first one, the less likely you are to finish it...and finishing makes you want to do another. Try asking the shop where you are taking the class if you will be using a book...and get it before the class begins.
Remember measure twice and cut once...It really works!!
Good luck and have a great time beginning a wonderful hobby.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Take a nine patch and cut it in half both ways + then turn the squares and put them back togather.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM

My very first quilt was a tied four patch, very easy and non-discouraging. It's still on my bed,
Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

I taught quilting and the block used was the Rail Fence. The classes included rotary cutting and strip piecing. We put 3 different types of borders on, straight, cornerstones, and mitered. The binding was the bias tube. I had them do it all in 6 weeks and gave homework. After that they could tackle lots of quilts. I was always available to help if they needed help. This is where I made lots of friends. Some of us are now in our own quilting group. I am available if they need me, otherwise we spend several hours visiting and quilting.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM

You really can't go wrong with a nine patch. It's easy, plus it gives you a definite pattern that a scrap quilt doesn't. There are so many things that you can do with it, like sashing or strips inbetween. That is the first one that I did years ago, using scrap material. All of these suggestions are great and whatever you do, it will be beautiful.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

Quilter's Academy Vol 1 - Freshman Year by Harriet & Carrie Hargrave.

I can highly recommend this book. I'm working and blogging my way through it and learning sooooo much. There are 11 projects to make (13 if you do alternative patterns. I've completed 5 of them so far and each one has turned out much better than I hoped.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I took a sampler class and they used the "Quilts, Quilts, Quilts" book. I found it to be a very useful book.

One of my favorite patterns to date is the 4-patch. It is a beginner's dream because you can learn so much of the basics (cutting acurately, pressing in opposite direction to nest the seams, etc.) Plus, there are a gazillion (or more) options for alternating squares.

Just have fun and don't stress. Which machine are you getting?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:24 PM

I think the easiest thing to do is a nine patch. Pretty straight forward- squares. There are a ton of patterns. I recommend not doing triangles in your first project. Whatever you choose - good luck !
Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
One of the best books I have is The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide...
Here's a link to see it:

http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Ultim...2791507&sr=8-3
I so agree about this book! It is great and this is a good price.
I wouldn't part with it! It is a good book for beginners and as a reference book for everyone else, too.